Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange pumpkin plants

Posted by erdnuss 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 10:09

I'm attempting to grow a giant pumpkin this year. The plant never really grew a "vine" It has almost 15-20 leaves, it's about 1-2 ft tall, roughly 2 months old, and today it bloomed 2 of it's flowers with about 4 more to go.
I know that pumpkins are suppose to grow on vines and even though I may not get a good pumpkin because the plant seems to have done poorly, I'm still goign to see what I get :)
I've given it some compost/manure about 2 weeks ago, we'll see what happens.
Has anyone else had this problem before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange pumpkin plants

My question for you is what variety of seeds are you using and where did you purchase them?

Your plant sounds like it has tendencies of a bush variety pumpkin...they don't vine out but grow more upright and get an abundance of leaves on the top.

o

It is the Atlantic Giant and I purchased the seed packet from Thompson & Morgan online

o

Hmmmm...well then I am stumped too. We grow lots of pumpkins and my husband is growing Atlantic Giants....putting a lot of effort and time and fish emulsion/seaweed into his. His big plant has about 15 huge leaves and one really good vine extending out
But he started it pretty late...like 4 wks ago..due to weather.
Your plant....being a couple months old....should be vining...especially if it's flowering.

Got a photo?

o

I'm guessing you have a flatvine/ribbonvine. I've had a couple of these in the past. They occur occasionally, as do doublevines. Are you able to see any small normal looking vines coming out of the plant? If so, I'd train one of these as the mainvine, and prune off the growing tip of the flatvine. This will hopefully focus the plant's energy into the normal vine.

o

I have a different sort of strange pumpkin plant. The sepals on the flowers are not the normal needle-like shape, but instead have been replaced with what look a lot more like leaves. It's very odd. Also, the stem and petioles are mottled. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

It came from a packet that are supposed to be Atlantic Giant. I got them as a freebie at a giant pumpkin growing seminar. The speaker who distributed them said they were a gift from Howard Dill.

I do have photos but I don't know how to post them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here