Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many is too many to pollinate

Posted by impactconstinc (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 26, 06 at 11:03

I'm fairly new to growing AG's. My question is this: Should I pinch off the females that are close to the stump and on secondaries or should I pollinate them? I really only want to pollinate off the main vine but I don't want to run the risk of having no pumpkins.
STEVE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many is too many to pollinate

The main vine is where you would prefer to keep your fruit. It is still early in the season and you should have many to choose from. Now if the Calender was fast forwarded a month. Then you would have a reason to become nervous.

o

Rainydays -- what would you do with a baby pumpkin 18 inches out on the primary -- would you cull it ?

Wayne

o

18 Inches...I like 12 feet. 18 inches would just about be impossible to grow to maturity. The Pumpkin would end up ripping out the plant.

o

Rainydays, thanks for the feedback. It was strange to see the developing female flower that close to the crown. I will cull it. My plant is having some challenges; hopefully it makes it this year.

Wayne

o

didn't have to cull it -- it dried up and fell off on its own. I now have a female about 5 feet out on primary -- primary is only 6-7 feet long.

Wayne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here