Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wayne_perrier

AG Pollenation question / problem

wayne_perrier
18 years ago

I've got a single AG growing out in my backyard. The primary vine is about 13 feet long right now, growing about 6 inches per day. I'm watering 4 times a day, about 6 1/2 gallons of water per day total. Plant looks very healthy although some of the older leaves are yellowing. Lots of secondary vines; haven't had to prune much yet. On hot days here (85 degree), some of the larger leaves are wilting slightly but they recover in the evening. this only happens during the hottest part of the day and is the reason that my watering is spread out into 4 intervals.

Here's the problem. I pollenated two females over the last couple of weeks. On one, there was only one male flower available, so I used it; on the second one I used 2 male flowers. Both of these females have withered and died off over the last several days and never got over tennis ball size. I never taped the flowers closed after pollenation. There are lots of ants around, and they seem to like crawling into the flowers.

I pollenated another female today, about 11 feet out on the primary vine. I used 3 male flowers, and this time I taped the flower shut. I'm hopeful I'll be more successful this time.

Can anyone provide insight or opinions on what happened on the first two flowers ? I really thought that they'd "take". Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)