Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AG Pollenation question / problem

Posted by Wayne_Perrier z9 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 12:41

I've got a single AG growing out in my backyard. The primary vine is about 13 feet long right now, growing about 6 inches per day. I'm watering 4 times a day, about 6 1/2 gallons of water per day total. Plant looks very healthy although some of the older leaves are yellowing. Lots of secondary vines; haven't had to prune much yet. On hot days here (85 degree), some of the larger leaves are wilting slightly but they recover in the evening. this only happens during the hottest part of the day and is the reason that my watering is spread out into 4 intervals.

Here's the problem. I pollenated two females over the last couple of weeks. On one, there was only one male flower available, so I used it; on the second one I used 2 male flowers. Both of these females have withered and died off over the last several days and never got over tennis ball size. I never taped the flowers closed after pollenation. There are lots of ants around, and they seem to like crawling into the flowers.

I pollenated another female today, about 11 feet out on the primary vine. I used 3 male flowers, and this time I taped the flower shut. I'm hopeful I'll be more successful this time.

Can anyone provide insight or opinions on what happened on the first two flowers ? I really thought that they'd "take". Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AG Pollenation question / problem

Wayne,
Are you pollinating early in the morning, soon after the female opens? I think I heard/read there is only a few hour interval to make a successful pollination. You may have to get up at 5 AM, or so, on the day the female opens.
Also, hot days can cause the fruit to abort, I think. I don't think 85 would be too hot, but the ground temp. could be much higher. I remember in one of Don Langevin's books, someone put ice near a newly pollinated female, to cool the area.

Douglas

o
RE: AG Pollenation question / problem

Hi Douglas: the pollenation was at various times, none that early. I find the flowers not yet open super early. The one this morning had basically just fully opened at about 9:30, which is when I pollenated it. It was about 62 degrees this morning at that time. I've seen the ice pictures in Don's book but thought that that was a little over the top. Perhaps not. If this one doesn't take, I'm willing to try other techniques, fast, because I've probably only got a 14 day window for this (in 14 days the primary vine will be 20 feet long). thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here