Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Pepper (cayenne)

Posted by potawie (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 12, 06 at 13:29

I'm in an international competition to grow the biggest "Whippet's Tail" pepper by Halloween. I've got a huge solid plant but need to know what will give the peppers a good boost. I'm tempted to pull off most of the flowers to provide more energy to the growth. The plant is in a large pot so it can be moved in and out of the greenhouse. I have access to all environmental controls (heating, cooling, humidity, shading, high powered lights etc.) I also have a wide range of fertilizers and supplements as well as compost and manure. I also have a half barrel I plan on using when pot gets rootbound and may be purchasing a drip irrigation system. I've always been good at growing big plants, but other than pumpkin I've never really grown giant veggies. What would be the ideal amount of light hrs and ideal humidity/temperature and fertilizer ratio for huge pods?
Please help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Pepper (cayenne)

Hi removing a lot of the blooms will help and I would use a product call super bloom and a growth hormone called giberillic acid if allowed. Give them full sun or at least 10 to 12 hours. I have noticed though that a plants genetic make up has a lot to do with the size of the plant along with the species. I have a rare wild species that can grow to nearly 9ft. tall, but the pods are quite small if you could breed the genes from a very tall plant like Capsicum praetermissum into your pepper you might end up with a very tall plant that has large pods on it. this could take years though.
I would watch how much nitrogen you use to as it will effect the size and amount of peppers you get.
George W. Z5 Mo.

o
RE: Giant Pepper (cayenne)

POTA;
FWIW, (For What Its Worth), a LOT of GIANT VEG records come from alaska, where they have almost 24hrs of daylight, coincedence?? I think not. I would think to increase the "light" the plant gets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here