Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Atlantic Giant Pumpkin Need Help!

Posted by towmatoe California (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 14:38

Hi everyone,

This year is my first year growing an Atlantic Giant pumpkin, and I have had several problems with it so far. So I am looking for advice on what to do to get a big pumpkin still.

I have 4 questions that I hope someone can answer:

1. When my first pumpkin fruit came on, cucumber beetles ate all of the pollen from my male pumpkin flowers and I was forced to use pollen from my zucchini. Luckily, I think the pollen worked because the yellow pumpkin at the end is still growing and not rotting. However, does anybody know if the zucchini pollen will result in a smaller pumpkin? Or is that just over generations?

2. I did not have any room in my garden for the pumpkin, so I dug out a spot on my hill and just put cinder blocks and fence around it to keep the rabbits away. But now I think the blocks and fence are hindering the plant's root growth. Will this also affect size greatly? Should I move the blocks and fence?.

3. I was told that once the pumpkin fruit sets, the plant literally can't get enough water. Is this true? Or will too much water rot the fruit and plant?
How much water is good for the pumpkin once growth starts?

4. Lastly, If there is any growth beyond the pumpkin fruit, on the same stem, i.e. vines, leaves, etc., should I cut them off so that all nutrient flow just goes to the pumpkin?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Atlantic Giant Pumpkin Need Help!

The pollen from your zuckinni might work maybe, you'll know if it makes past the size of a soccer ball if it works or not. Most of mine die off about the size of a baseball or soccer ball. So that should be a good indicator whenther it works or not. That depends on how close is the fence to your pumpkin? It will affect the size and the growth rate of the roots if the wall is to close to the pumkin or the roots. I water mine twice a day, they need at least 2 gallons of water a week depending on the size of the pumkin. Right now I have a 50 pounder and I water it twice a day. You can if you want massive size. There is a website called pumkinnook.com it will explain alot about massive pumkin growing. I hope this helps you in growing that massive pumpkin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here