Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I prune my Giant Pumpkin?

Posted by raisemybeds SouthernCT (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 05 at 10:19

This is my question. I have a giant pumpkin vine growing on a compost mound. The vine is maybe 20 feet long with a single fertilized female near the growing tip. Despite precautions, SVB has attacked the plant (I have them bad in my area). Most of the damage is in the first 50% of the vine, with really bad splits/rottting/frass near where the main stem comes out of the growing mound. It seems to me that the main stem is going to break off entirely as time goes on. And please don't tell me about cutting the borers out of the vine blah blah because I know all that stuff and it never really works anyway (believe me I am well-versed in SVB). What I want to do is whack the oldest half of the plant, hoping that the secondary rooting that has taken place all along the buried vine will sustain the youngest 50%. Will this work, or not? Thanks for any comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I prune my Giant Pumpkin?

You can do what you are asking...But if any part of the main vine is still green and living I would leave it. For our Giant Pumpkins we use Merit it is a systemic insecticide and will take care of all you SVB Problems. We Apply it at planting and it lasts for 90 days. Reapply it towards the end of July.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here