Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redblossom40

Need help fast on Giant pumpkins plant

redblossom40
19 years ago

Hi, Will I did it this morning. As I was turning my pumpkin, because it was getting flat on one side. Silly me thought that turning it up right would slow that process down. Anyways the pumpkin is about the size of a basketball and I cracked the vine by it. I was wonder if I wraped the vine with cloth tape would this save the pumpkin. Please help, My plant only has two pumpkins on it and if I lose this one I don't know if the plant will produce another one?

Thanks Tamara

Comments (13)

• douglas14
    19 years ago

Tamara,
    How big is the crack, and does it run with the vine, or across it? Is the crack between the pumpkin and the stump(Where the plant was originally put in the ground), or after the pumpkin? I'm new to growing giant pumpkins, but have learned a lot, from reading similar questions and answers(on another weebsite), that I may be able to help.

Douglas

• redblossom40
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It's about three to four inches and runs with the vine and yes it's between the pumpkin and stump. I went ahead and warped the vine with cloth tape. I hope this helps. Tamara

• douglas14
    19 years ago

Being it runs with the vine, I'd guess it will be O.K.
    I really don't know what, if any treatment is recommended for this. I don't have experience with cloth tape. If it doesn't stretch, it could cause problems if the vine is still thickening. Good luck!

Douglas

• brigi85
    19 years ago

as long as the split doesn't go into the pumpkin's stem, it shouldn't affect the pumpkin. keep an eye on the split, and it will eventually get knarly brown looking and heal itself. don't try to turn it again!

• redblossom40
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well the tape has worked so far, the vine hasn't die yet and the pumkin is getting bigger. thanks for the infor. Tamara

• leafbrain2003a
    19 years ago

Douglas:
    Could you please tell me about this other website?
    (bananasmangos@hotmail.com)

Tamara:
    I would be tempted to use some sort of fungicide as to reduce the chances of losing your pumpkin. If the wound begins to callus over then you should be ok. Good luck

• douglas14
    19 years ago

Leafbrain,
    I sent you an email.

Douglas

• wayne_perrier
    19 years ago

In the book "How to Grow World-Class Giant Pumpkins", they make a putty out of fungicide and fill in any stem cracks with that. I can dig out my copy and get specific product names if you wish.

• Maxpower
    19 years ago

Turning?? you shouldn't TURN pumpkins.

• redblossom40
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Happy to report the pumpkin is doing great. It weight in about 80lbs so far. Very healthy looking. No, I wont be turning anymore pumpkins agian. Thanks for help Tamara

• douglas14
    19 years ago

Good news Tamara!

Douglas

• leafbrain2003a
    19 years ago

Douglas: I never received your email.
    Wayne: Please tell us about the products for making the putty. Silly me never expected to have to worry about cracked vines this year, as it is my first year growing AG. Unfortuneatly, the pumpkin is about to tear itself off of the vine.

Tamara: How is the pumpkin doing now? Has the wound "healed"?

• redblossom40
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Great Leafbrain, growing with each new day and getting bigger. Up to 80lbs so far and turning bright orange. My neice who is three came over and inspected them. She's very excited about them and can't seem to decide on which one she wants. So warping the vine with tape worked out great. Sorry to hear about you problem. I hope you are able to save the pumpkin. Tamara
    Last year pumpkins
    {{gwi:840132}}

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz