Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is hand pollinating AG really necessary?

Posted by retto 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 12:09

Is hand pollinating AG really necessary if I am not concerned re which plants pollinate which? This is my first time to (try to)grow AG's, and I would be happy to have a pumkin of any size.

Thanks,

DST

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is hand pollinating AG really necessary?

It is not necessary. Although it does insure your pumpkin has been pollinated. A lot of the growers hand Pollinate because we like to control the cross. I am very picky about color, others are very picky about weight. Half the fun of growing pumpkins is trading seeds in the fall. If you want others to grow your seeds, take the time to control the cross. if you are just growing to grwo a big one. The bee's will do the work for you 75% of the time. Grow them BIG AND ORANGE...Shannon

o

thank you

o

Ditto what Shannon said. My first pollination of the year yesterday, wasn't a controlled cross(the male and female flowers used, weren't protected from pollinating insects. I still hand pollinated with five males in the morning, in case the bees didn't do the job. This will be classified as an open pollinated pumpkin, if it's the keeper, and I won't keep the seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here