Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a growing conjoined Carolina Cross watermelon

Posted by coolvol zone 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 12:58

I grow Carolina Cross watermelons for sport. Five days ago I had the pleasure of finding conjoined twins embryos on one of my plants. I pollinated it with pollen from the 291 Kent world record melon and it is growing well. I went ahead and removed other melons that were growing from this vine. This is an extremely rare condition and I could find only 2 other examples of conjoined watermelons on the internet. Both were small type melons and both were grown in China. Mine should get rather large.I am thinking about growing it on its edge to give it a striking appearance. It will look like one melon growing into and on top of another melon.I hope I figure out how to grow it that way as I will have to figure out some good way to keep it from falling over. Your input is appreciated. Here is a link to a picture of it in my growers diary at bigpumpkins.com :
http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryViewOne.asp?eid=164191

Here is a link that might be useful: Tennessee Dreamer's bigpumpkins.com watermelon growers diary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a growing conjoined Carolina Cross watermelon

Thank you for sharing. It is nice to see this progress. Please Keep us posted.

o

Here is a link to a picture at 7 days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tennessee Dreamer's bigpumpkins.com watermelon growers diary

o

Here is my latest picture of Nuts.

Here is a link that might be useful: TennesseeDreamers growers diary on bigpumpkins.com

o

How big did Nuts get?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here