Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep___roots

es-T-imate the weigh-T

deep___roots
17 years ago

I was looking through my "giant pumpkin" book and saw the charts for estimating weight by measuring "over the top".

So my AG pumpkin weighs.....5 pounds! Not so impressive....yet.

Anybody else do the measuring thing? Comments on measuring? I think I'll keep a log of growth. 5 lbs & counting!

Comments (7)

• wayne_perrier
    17 years ago

I think it's really important to measure daily, particularly when you have multiple pumpkins pollenated. You really want to pick the fastest growing one. Although for me last year, the plant decided for me -- of the 5 pollenated pumpkins, only 1 made it -- the rest shrivelled up.

Wayne

• deep___roots
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well I measured again on this past Monday. In 5 days the weight has doubled, now we're at 10 lbs.

The interesting or strange thing about this plant is there is only one pumpkin, and I'm not seeing as many new flowers.

• busygardner
    17 years ago

How do you measure pumpkin to determine the weight?

• deep___roots
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You takes a tape measure and go from one side to the other in the middle (ground to ground....you don't need to go under)
    Then you do the same lengthwise
    Then you go stem to middle of the bottom lengthwise

You add up these 3 numbers and check the chart in your pumpkin book

Supposedly that estimates the weight

But I gotta say that my pumpkin that the book estimates at 10 pounds is more like 30 pounds or 40. The pumpkin is 2 feet long and 20 inches wide....maybe I better read the book again. I suppose you could find estimating info on the web somewhere.

• sandbagger
    17 years ago

My experience is that its not always the fastest growing that you should keep. Chances are that the main vine pkn will grow the best especially when its the only one, so by chosing that sideviner near the stump thats growing faster today over a main viner that WOULD be growing faster had there not been two other main viners within 5 feet of it you might be making a mistake! Main vine over side vine in almost every circumstance....good position over poor, normal looking fruit over fruit with "issues". No less than 6 side vines on EACH side between the stump and the main vine fruit you chose, more is better. If you have a growing plant (vines actively growing) and multiple fruit then don't get caught up in the often bantered about day 10 "guidelines"...two rainy days in the first ten days and your gonna be 10 inches short of the guidelines. 10 inches at that size is a lb....thats like 30 mins of fruit growth at day 30 !!! NO BIG DEAL !

• busygardner
    17 years ago

deep_roots thanks for the info. I did find a chart online, need to buy the book yet, first time growing these. pollinated 2 on June 30, estimate #1 at 172lbs, & #2 at 157lbs. pollinated 1 on July 3 at 140lbs, pollinated 1 on July 10 at 99lbs now. All are gaining an average of 8 to 12 lbs a day now. I have two plants with two main vines on each one. Taking up a lot of my veggie garden, next year will have a seperate spot for pumpkin patch!!!

• busygardner
    17 years ago

My first year growing giant pumpkins, here are the results. One weighed 515.5 lbs, one weighed 383.5 lbs & one weighed 301.5 lbs. Lots of growing information can be found on www.bigpumpkins.com Entered them in weigh offs, won $225.00 total.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County