Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian_ny_nj_pa

giant amaranth videos

Brian_NY_NJ_PA
16 years ago

My friend in Poughkeepsie, NY is growing giant amaranth. Check out these videos of some giant amaranth (amaranthus australis) plants. In the one video, the stem circumference is 35 inches in circumference. WOW! These are from the seed source as the current world record at over 15 ft. tall.

video of 35 inch stem circumference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBedJgJrIq8

video of giant amaranths in large pots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bD4VzWU_aQ

*note* he incorrectly stated that these amaranth are from Australia, which is not true. These amaranth are from South Eastern United States.

Comments (5)

• greenhummer
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Reminds me of Jack in the Beanstock....Huge

• gianteverything
    16 years ago

Hey sunflower Info .... its your friend jesse from poughkeepsie.

1. the sunflower stalk is 55 inches around.
      2. stop talking about me.
      3. stop bragging about a made up world record.
      4. the world record Amaranth grew in NY NOT N.J
  • gianteverything
    16 years ago

• gianteverything
    16 years ago

New York state gardener/farmer Jesse Eldrid specializes in growing heavy, tall, and large vegetables and annual plants. On October 25th, 2007, after a long summer of working, watching, and waiting, he finally contacted county officials in order to obtain a legitimate measurement of the Amaranthus Australis plant he had been growing since the beginning of the year. When Jesse contacted the local bureau of weights and measures, he knew that he had a record-breaking plant -- but he didn't know that his plant would be almost twelve feet (11.98) taller than the the goal he had set for himself in the existing record: the official measurement of the plant, he would learn that afternoon, was 27'10".
    In the early Spring months of 2007, Jesse received several amaranth seeds from the USDA NCRPIS (United States Department of Agriculture, North Central Regional Plant Introduction Station). Although one wouldn't think it from the size of the mature plant, Amaranthus seeds themselves are actually quite small (smaller than the head of a pin.) Germinating them was fairly difficult, however. Once he managed to get a handful of young plants growing well, he knew one of them was destined to be huge. On May 15th, when Jesse transplanted the young seedlings outside, they started growing rapidly. The plant that grew the fastest also happened to have the largest trunk (measuring almost five feet around) which may have helped the plant grow significantly taller than normal. (An average "trunk" would have a five to eight inch circumference.)
    As the temperatures rose, the plant grew faster and faster. Competition, too, was on the rise. In Spring, Jesse shared a small number of cuttings among friends, and their plants had begun to take on considerable height at around this time, as well. As it turned out, many of these cuttings exceeded the 15' benchmark, some even stretched to 20+ feet.
    In the early autumn, near the end of the amaranth's life cycle, Jesse's record-breaking plant was still growing several feet per day. Just before the official measurement, the plant also began producing flowers which also contributed to the overall height of the amaranth. Another factor contributing to the overwhelming size of the plant was the amount of water it received per day -- approximately 30 gallons per plant, per day.
    In order to give the plant extra support (and to determine the benchmark for the old record) Jesse built a fifteen foot tall trellis for the amaranth. It didn't take long for the plant to outgrow it, though. By the middle of August, it was no longer possible to measure the plant with a ladder alone. (For the official measurement in October, professional arborists were called in, and a bucket-truck was necessary to get a measurement from the very top of the plant.)
    Jesse Eldrid has been growing unusual plants for many years, and gardening is a life-long obsession for him. In the future, he plans on challenging the millet, sorghum, and historic corn records (for height.) He also intends, one day, to beat his own amaranth record. By growing crops such as these, Jesse hopes to raise awareness about the natural world and the potential for alternative energy.

It comes down to who grew the bigger plant, not who brought in the bigger media or the better cameras. It's about gardening.
    I had twelve plants over 23' tall. Most of Brian's plants were *clones* of my certified 27'10" plant. He has left that information out of all of his articles, and posted up elsewhere that my plant is a "bigfoot" type of claim. Not only does he know better -- but he should have *acted* better, too. It's a much longer story than this, and it would probably make a good book. Maybe Brian would be interested in helping me write it??

• maderb
    15 years ago

Hey were can I buy seeds from your Amaranth? I'm interested.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions