Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helianthus_grower

giant sunflowers

helianthus_grower
17 years ago

Hi all im new to this site but i have been growing giant sunflower varieties for many years,is there anyone else out there that grows them? if so what are your results?

Comments (16)

• gianteggplant
    17 years ago

I have grown them (Craven, Bott's, Diane's, etc) for the past several years and the tallest had been only 12 ft (but got a near 20' head in 2005). Last year my giant sunflower were permature, and again this season. I don't know the cause but I think it has something to do with the strange weather pattern. As for the height I find that cooler weather actually produce taller plants. The temperature here for the last few days is in the 90s.

• helianthus_grower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So far this year i have a row of 12 botts strain sunflowers in my front garden that are 10ft tall & are not showing any sign of head formation as yet.I have a 13ft american giant in my back garden which is about to flower as i started it off a bit early (in mid April). I also have a row of 8ft cravens which i started off in mid may.The problem is,is that im moving house in the first week in august & im taking these giants with me,i hope this wont stunt the growth too much.

• farmfreedom
    17 years ago

I believe there exists a " skyscraper strain " that has tall ones the world record is around 25 feet .

• gianteggplant
    17 years ago

hgrower, sunflower don't adapt well when you move them to a new environment, which I have done in the past. Sudden increase in temperature can kill them.
    farmfreedom, The world record strain is Craven. skyscraper is just one of many giant varieties.

• helianthus_grower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the advice giantegg, but i think i will still take that chance as i think that my bott's should push 14ft at least. I forgot to mention that i also have 4 hemkers. Last year my hemkers only put on 50ish flower heads, but this year they seem to be doing better as i have added more nitrogen & potasium.

• tropicalfreak
    17 years ago

can anyone list the giant strains?? and where i can find seeds??
    when fall comes i will be planting sunflowers.
    thanks, cliff

• gianteggplant
    17 years ago

Cliff, Brian's site should help, though he hasn't updated his site for a while as he is moving it. http://www.geocities.com/sunflower_info/

• giantseeds
    17 years ago

Hi all, switch to gallery and check out my 15ft craven/american cross sunny that's just in bloom. This is a variety i have been working on for a few years.

• gianteggplant
    17 years ago

When did you start breeding them and what is the variety "american"? Nice to see another giant sunflower grower doing well.

• farmfreedom
    17 years ago

anyone breeding in colors or teddybear strains or crossing giant head or giant seed with tallest strains ?

• giantseeds
    17 years ago

This sunny is a cross between American giant hybrid and norm cravens old seed, because i have crossed it with a hybrid and i'm still in experimental stages with it, it does tend to produce different plants. This is the second year i have grown this variety and it seems to be more vigorous than either parent.

• Brian_NY_NJ_PA
    17 years ago

I don't recommend trying to move any sunflowers unless you absolutely have to. Maybe you can make a deal with the new owners to collect the seed heads when they mature. At best you may get them to survive, but they will probably not grow much taller, and you will have a stunted flower. Most likely they won't make it. The larger a sunflower is, the harder it is to move. The only chance you have is for them to avoid all mid-day sun for at least a week or so. Minute the direct sun hits them, they are finished.

I had sunflowers that reached over 14 ft. that blew over when they were only about 8 ft.

http://www.gardenpics.com/photos/data/500/botts_14ft_PA_08_14_04.jpg

The thing that saved them was during the wind storm, they brought all the dirt with them when they tipped, and somehow it wasn't disturbed. The soil was wet enough that it all held together. We just flipped them back up straight, threw some heavy rocks on top to keep them down, and they were fine.

• helianthus_grower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for that advice Brian, i think i will still try & move them, but place them along the east wall of my house.
    Gintseeds that craven cross looks pretty impresive.

• gianteggplant
    17 years ago

Any problems so far, hgrower?

• helianthus_grower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The sunflowers wilted for the first week but have now seemed to have taken i hope!

• mgilliam9173
    16 years ago

Now that summer is over, can someone tell me how to care for two giant sunflowers I have in my backyard. I was told to cut them down but that doesn't seem right. Any advice?

Sponsored