Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
douglas14_gw

A.G. Pumpkin Update: Douglas

douglas14
18 years ago

I'm growing the following plants:

945.5 Sherwood-in main grden, and gets the most sun. 9'7" mainvine.

901 Hebb- 7'7" mainvine

03'Connolly cross(953 Langevin X 1260.4 Weir)-7'10" mainvine. I grew my 615 lber. last yr. from a seed from this pumpkin. It was shiny orange, and 7% heavier than the estimate.

1029 Golat-the mainvine went double, so I trained a secondary as the main. It's 2'4" long.

These should all produce nice, orange colored pummpkins.

I'm hoping to set my keeper pumpkin on these plants before July 15. On the 1029 Golat I'm hoping for a set by July 25.

Douglas

Comments (33)

• wayne_perrier
    18 years ago

Douglas: Awesome. Clearly you've put alot more science into this than me. I really have no idea what I'm going to get, in terms of color and shape. We should compare notes (and pictures) at season's end.

When do you get your first frost in your area ?

Another question: how did you obtain your seeds ?

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wayne,
    First frost can be quite variable. On average I think it hits around Sept. 20. Of course I'm hoping it holds off till Oct.
    I purchased a few my seeds at few different places.
    I requested some seeds from growers. I joined a few giant pumpkin organizations, and a couple of them sent seed packs with the membership. I also bought a few at auction, then traded them for others. I kind of went overboard:-).
    I'm hoping to have some nice color crosses at the end of the season.
    I will be able to post pictures on the computer, as I have access to a camera now.

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My first female flower on the mainvine of the 945.5 Sherwood, will be at about 12' out, and the next at about 14'. I'm hoping my pumpkin will be grown from one of these two. This plant looks like my best prospect for growing a large pumpkin. The females look like they will be long and oval on this plant, so far. The shape could change qauite a bit after pollination though.
    My other three plants are smaller, and two of them are not putting out secondaries well at all. These are all in another garden, that gets less sun, and I don't know if that is part of the problem? If I get something over 700 lbs. from one of these plants I will be quite happy. The 901 Hebb has a female flower on the mainvine at about 7'. I may try pollinating it, just for practice, to see if it takes. It is quite close, and most likely I'll cull it in favor of one further out.

Douglas

• wayne_perrier
    18 years ago

Good stuff, Douglas. 700 pounds is a pretty large fruit. I hope that you like pumpkin pies.

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wayne,
    After inspecting my plants some more, I think it will be more realistic to hope for 300-400 pounds in the garden with the three plants. I'm wondering if there is some deficiency in the soil there, as my two largest plants there are putting out only a few secondaries, and it looks like the few I do have aren't going to get much longer(They're only about 2-3' long). They seem to be ending in a cluster of male flowers, instead of continuing to put out new leaves and more vine. My plant last year(in the other garden) had normal secondaries, except for about three, that self-terminated in a cluster of male flowers at about 6' long. The third plant is too small to tell, if this trend will be present with it.
    I plan on seeng what these smaller plants will be able to produce, but don't have great expectations in this regard.
    On the bright side, my largest plant in the other garden, it growing just fine, and putting out some nice secondary vines. My first pollination on the mainvine should be in about 5-7 days. I'm pruning off every other secondary on this plant. Some succussful growers(definitely not all) do this. I want to see how it does for me. If all goes well, and I can get a good fruit set, and it holds together; I think I can hope for 700-800+ of this plant. We'll see. I'm optomistic anyway:-)

Douglas

• wayne_perrier
    18 years ago

Hi Douglas: sorry to hear about those plants. Hope the plants in the other garden produce for you. Did you use a different soil mix in the new area ?

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wayne,
    It's just natural soil, nothing added, except some leaves in the fall. I grew a nice crop of onions and potatoes in it last year. I'm wondering if it might be deficient in nitrogen? It has a good amt. of worms present.
    I will try and get a pumpkin on each one, and see how they do. Maybe the soil isn't good at producing plant parts, but awesome at producing pumpkins. I can only hope so.

Douglas

• wayne_perrier
    18 years ago

understood. Best of luck.

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The leaves on my 945.5 Sherwood were really flagging (drooping)yesterday in the 90+ degree heat. I was a little worried. This morning the leaves look normal again.
    The female flower 12' out on the mainvine of this plant, opened this morning. It was open at 7:30 AM when I checked on it. I took five males off the plant, and hand pollinated it. This will be classified as an open pollinated pumpkin, as it was left open to pollinators, as the males were as well.
    I'm hoping this one takes. We've had 90+ degree temps. the last 2 or three days, and today may be the same. The next female on the mainvine of this plant is two feet further down the vine, and will likely open in about 4 days. That one I may do a controlled cross on, although seed production isn't a huge priority for me this year.
    I estimate that I'm about 10 or 11 days ahead of my plant last year, with this plant. The back secondary vines are over 10.5 ft. long, and I may terminate them tomorrow.
    The females on this plant are long and oval in shape.
    Rain is needed.

Douglas

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Three more females opened up this morning. I hope the bees did the pollination job. I checked one plant at 5:45 A.M., and the female wasn't yet open it. I had to leave for work at 6 AM, so I didn't try hand pollination. I don't know if I'll get any controlled crosses in this year. I haven't gone out of my way to get one done yet. My first goal is a large pumpkin, and and a controlled cross for seeds would be nice, but I'm not stressing over it.
    The females opened up on the 901 Hebb, the Connolly cross, and the second one opened on the 945.5 Sherwood(14' on the mainvine). All these females were on the mainvines.
    It looks like the first pollination was successful on the 945.5 Sherwood(on July 11). The ovary is noticeably larger, and the stem is thicking up. I could be wrong, but this pumpkin looks like it has potential to be a large one. It's long in shape, and doesn't taper much on either end. I'm already excited about it. I know, alot can yet go wrong. I'm hoping it won't abort, and I can keep it going till weighoff time.
    I hope to post some pictures soon, as I have that capability now.

Douglas

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Correction, the female on the 901 Hebb opened today. Yesterday I thought it had opened, then closed up almost totally, but I was wrong.

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

945.5 Sherwood- 27.5" circ. on day 8. Slowed down some in growth in the last day(2.5" circumference gain), possibly due to cooler temps, and dry weather. I may water tonight.

Connolly cross- The first pollinated fruit has seemed to quite growing, and has likely aborted. A female at 15.5' on the mainvine, opened yesterday. I hope this one takes.

901 Hebb- The pumpkin is only about baseball sized, and may have quit growing. I may have to rely on the next female to open.

1029 Golat- no pumpkin sets yet.

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

945.5 Sherwood- day 10 circ. is 36". I'm very pleased, as it's over twice the circumference my pumkin had last year at day 10. OTT(circ. and two over the top measurements added together) is 80.5"(an estimated 14 lbs.). I know it's early, but so far, this pumpkin is on an awesome pace.

901 Hebb- hasn't stopped growing. I don't expect much from this plant, as it's quite small, But I'd like to get a nice "porch sitter" from it. I chose this seed because of it's tendency to produce pumpkins with nice shape and color. Shape looks nice so far.

Douglas

• wayne_perrier
    18 years ago

Congrats, Douglas. glad to hear that Sherwood is working out for you. I'd like to strategize with you at the end of the season about your seed picks for next year. take care.

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

945.5 Sherwoood pumpkin hit day 20 yesterday. It's circumference was 79" and it estimated at 124 lbs. according to the 2005 Stellpflug/Martin table, which I'll use for weight est. updates here this year(using OTT measurements). So far, so good. I hope I can figure out how to post pics here soon.

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Day 25 for the 945.5 Sherwood pumpkin. It is now at an estimated 215 lbs. It averaged an estimated 18.2 lbs./day, for the last five days.

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

945.5 Sherwood hit an estimated 310 lbs. today, on day 30. It averaged an estimated 19 lbs./day, for the last 5 days. Not very fast growth, but nice and steady. In comparison, my 615 lber. last year, hit 300 lb. est. on day 41.

Douglas

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Day 35 for the 945.5 Sherwood pumpkin. It's estimated at 392 lbs. It averaged an estimated 16.4 lbs./day for the last 5 days.

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Day 50 for the 945.5 Sherwood pumpkin. It's now estimated at 560 lbs. Since I last posted, estimated daily growth has steadily declined. The last five days averaged 7.4 lbs./day. I'm planning on going to a weighoff on Oct. 8. Hopefully Sept. will be nice, and the pumpkin will continue packing on the pounds. I hoping it will break 700 lbs. It's a very nice orange color. I wish I could post pics here. I have pics at two other websites. If you'd like to see these, email me, and I'll direct you there.

Douglas

• PamlicoGranny
    18 years ago

Please tell me what your guys are using to feed these pumpkin vines to get them to grow this much. It is totally amazing to me. I have nevered in my life seen pumpkins or other vegetables that are huge.

• rainydays
    18 years ago

Lots of Love....Sun,Manure, Compost, Fish, Kelp, Calcium, and water. We will hook you up with some seeds for next spring. My goal always is to get atleast 5 new people hooked on this hobby every season.

• jninejc
    18 years ago

Rainydays, You might be able to get me hooked! I have read and lurked for a long time. Pumpkins are my favorite but my husband didn't want the vines taking over everthing, but he recently contested that it would be fun to grow them so GAME ON! I would love to know what I can do right now to make my soil the best it can be next year. We have a very fertile sandy loam. Usually every winter I mulch heavily with the alfalfa fines that end up on the barn floor, but not much else. Suggestions on getting seeds and "fixing-up" the soil would be much appreicated!

• witsend22
    18 years ago

best way I can think of for getting more hooked is to put more seeds in more peoples hands.

I'm hoping to get some seeds myself and plant my first giants this coming spring. Several individuals have said I have been added to their seed lists so i'm hoping for the best.

• cherig22
    18 years ago

OK, so how did the weighoff go? Been lurking this since July, and I NEED to know.

Cheri

• rainydays
    18 years ago

The seeds are still in the pumpkins so you have to wait a little bit. I would suggest ammending your soil as much as possible with compost and manure right now. Read a book called "How to grow world class giant pumpkins II". You will get seeds just be patient and remember we get close to 200 seed requests a year. This not including the ones we personally send to send seeds also.
    Shannon from Wisconsin

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cheri,
    I'll be going to a weighoff this coming Sat.
    My 945.5 Sherwood is estimated around 650 lbs., but unfortunately developed a small blossom end split that goes into the cavity. It isn't eligible for prize money.
    The Connolly cross pumpkin is estimated at about 500 lbs.
    I think I'll be taking the damaged pumpkin, just to find out the true weight.

• witsend22
    18 years ago

Sorry to hear that Douglas. I was hoping you would be able to do well at the competition this year so I would know what I was going to be up against next year (my first year). That does bring up a good question though. I often hear about individuals being knocked out of competition by a split that goes all the way to the inside. What caused this and what can be done to stop. reduce. or eliminate these type things if anything.

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good question witsend22,
    I can't say I have the answers. The bloosom end of a giant pumpkin, seems to be a week point, The pumpkin wall frequently tends to be thinnner there. I've heard theories that too quick of a growth rate, fluctuating temps., uneven watering, etc., can lead to splits.
    Some people put a cloth, soaked in some kind of calcium solution, on their pumpkins, in hopes of strengthening or thickening up the walls(I think). I've never tried it. Maybe next year I will.
    I take it you are from Pennsylvania. A grower from there broke the pumpkin world record this year, at 1469 lbs.

• witsend22
    18 years ago

It has to be heart breaking to wait all year for a chance to compete and then loose it all in one fell swoop. I was hoping to go to the Pa weight off this year. I visited the site the pa giant growers had for last year and got interested but it had not been updated since last years weigh off as of a month ago so I was not able to find any info about it.

I believe I am on rainydays mailing list or at least hope I am so I should be planting next year. I hope to plant in two places. I will plant here at the house where I will watch and pamper and do all everyone says you are supposed to do, and at a farmer friends he has some rich bottom land he doesn't cultivate because he can't get his harvester in to harvest the corn so it is mine to use in the creek bottom. If i can get the seed I will plant there and i will let it grow almost unattended with rabbits deer ground hogs fishermen and any other things that hinder us in our endevers.

• dunkel
    18 years ago

I have also been lurking for sometime and want to grow a big 'un next season. Could anyone refer me to a source for seeds ? You can e mail me if you don't want to post the name of the companies here.

Unfortunately I don't have enough garden space to grow one here. I have 2 different sites off my property I'm eyeing to grow on. Any sites y'all could recommend for information on tips, and tactics? Thanks in advance!

• rainydays
    18 years ago

ahhh lurkers are the worst kind...lol they understand that this choice could change their lives. Next thing you know they have no backyards. Then they are getting manure and compost brought in from outside sources. Come spring they are erecting mini 6x8 foot greenhouses complete with soil heating cables and personal plant heaters. Then they feed and nuture this little seedling. Then they end up with this huge pumpkin with no way to get it out of the backyard. have to hire a crane to get it over the fence, then rent a truck to put the pumpkin on....Then the neighbbors start talking about you. You will know..they will be pointing and looking. Then they realize you are in the pumpkin Patch. Be afraid very afraid. This choice can and will change your lives.
    Shannon "5TH YEAR SEASONED GROWER"

• douglas14
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well said Shannon!!!

• cherig22
    18 years ago

lol, still lurking but would not want to try Giants, way too much work! But I love to read how you all take so much time and record results.

Hope you all did good this year.

Cheri