Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistercross

What plants do you want to see giant-ized?

mistercross
19 years ago

Is there any plant, vegetable, flower, et cetera, that doesn't have a large variety, but you wish it did?

Shouldn't it be genetically possible for anything to grow as large as possible, as long as the roots and leaves can provide the nutrients? (I mean in future generations of plants, not taking any variety off-the-shelf right now.)

Is growing over-sized things an American fascination, or are others similarly obsessed?

Comments (13)

• mrgeelock
    19 years ago

I want to see GIANT sized cherry tomatoes!?

• Studpossum
    19 years ago

I think they should 'giantize' bonsai. I'd love to have a maple bonsai, say, about 40-60 feet tall in my front yard. Root pruning could be a real B%*ch though.

In all seriousness though, I would like to grow a 1 pound blueberry. Think of the size of the muffin!

• Judy29
    19 years ago

Giant grapes!

• Bigsun
    19 years ago

Giant cherries the size of apples

• southerngurl
    19 years ago

Huge blackberries.

• adrianag
    19 years ago

Blueberries the size of an apple - then you could cut it in half and eat it with a spoon.

• althea_gw
    19 years ago

Blueberries the size of a melon or even larger! One could make a whole meal, but it would be hard to blend it in to muffin or pancake batter.

• hen11
    19 years ago

giant broccoli so it is like a small tree!!!!

it would be all bouncy and fun! and when you get bored of it, just bite into it, mmmmmm

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    19 years ago

Giant Brussels Sprouts the size of Cabbages....wait a minute...Scratch that...
    Giant Zuccinni,...no...
    aaahh...Giant...I'll go with the Grapes and Blueberries too ;O)

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

Hmmmm, good question, I'd like to see some giant cauliflower, or broccoli, or NO WAIT,

*jaws theme plaws*

GIANT giant pumpkins

LOL

Dc

• paulns
    19 years ago

Bananas the size of zucchinis
    (and zucchinis the size of beans)

• markapp
    19 years ago

since giants tend to be marginally edible anyway how bout a giant okra onion bean or corn. as a matter of discussion on the giants are any of you familiar with giants in anything but anuals? I know there are a few comercial examples like a bigger strawberry and apple gurneys peddles but i have never heard of cmpetitions, as to popularity i think I read a british book and it was popular there before it became a USA thing. I suspect australians and new zealanders do it too as they are adept horticulturists probably india and the orient as well anyone who grows giant goldfish and 3 inch trees no doubt dabbles in giant fruits and vegies. I would guess harvest fairs and comparisons are world wide passtimes.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    18 years ago

point by point from the top, the tommatoes that most of us grow today are descended from cherry tomatoes, thats why we have to tie up the stems.

Bonsai would be larger, but there so hard to work with.

Big cherries are knows as plumbs.

if you use alot of manure you can get some varieties of black berry about as big as the entire thumb of a large man.

Cabbage and brusselsprouts are the same plant, just one has been bred for axial buds and one for terminal buds, both are descendants of wild mustard greens, just like kale and broccoli and coliflower.

plantains

largest fancy goldfish ever was 14 inches or so, Koi tp out at 36 inches, mirror carp (same wild origins as koi) top out at 40 inches or so.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH