Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What plants do you want to see giant-ized?

Posted by mistercross z6b Ozarks (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 04 at 0:59

Is there any plant, vegetable, flower, et cetera, that doesn't have a large variety, but you wish it did?

Shouldn't it be genetically possible for anything to grow as large as possible, as long as the roots and leaves can provide the nutrients? (I mean in future generations of plants, not taking any variety off-the-shelf right now.)

Is growing over-sized things an American fascination, or are others similarly obsessed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What plants do you want to see giant-ized?

I want to see GIANT sized cherry tomatoes!?

o

I think they should 'giantize' bonsai. I'd love to have a maple bonsai, say, about 40-60 feet tall in my front yard. Root pruning could be a real B%*ch though.

In all seriousness though, I would like to grow a 1 pound blueberry. Think of the size of the muffin!

o

Giant grapes!

o

Giant cherries the size of apples

o

Huge blackberries.

o

Blueberries the size of an apple - then you could cut it in half and eat it with a spoon.

o

Blueberries the size of a melon or even larger! One could make a whole meal, but it would be hard to blend it in to muffin or pancake batter.

o

giant broccoli so it is like a small tree!!!!

it would be all bouncy and fun! and when you get bored of it, just bite into it, mmmmmm

o

• Posted by Vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 4, 05 at 7:54

Giant Brussels Sprouts the size of Cabbages....wait a minute...Scratch that...
Giant Zuccinni,...no...
aaahh...Giant...I'll go with the Grapes and Blueberries too ;O)

o

Hmmmm, good question, I'd like to see some giant cauliflower, or broccoli, or NO WAIT,

*jaws theme plaws*

GIANT giant pumpkins

LOL

Dc

o

Bananas the size of zucchinis
(and zucchinis the size of beans)

o

since giants tend to be marginally edible anyway how bout a giant okra onion bean or corn. as a matter of discussion on the giants are any of you familiar with giants in anything but anuals? I know there are a few comercial examples like a bigger strawberry and apple gurneys peddles but i have never heard of cmpetitions, as to popularity i think I read a british book and it was popular there before it became a USA thing. I suspect australians and new zealanders do it too as they are adept horticulturists probably india and the orient as well anyone who grows giant goldfish and 3 inch trees no doubt dabbles in giant fruits and vegies. I would guess harvest fairs and comparisons are world wide passtimes.

o
These are things you see giantised

point by point from the top, the tommatoes that most of us grow today are descended from cherry tomatoes, thats why we have to tie up the stems.

Bonsai would be larger, but there so hard to work with.

Big cherries are knows as plumbs.

if you use alot of manure you can get some varieties of black berry about as big as the entire thumb of a large man.

Cabbage and brusselsprouts are the same plant, just one has been bred for axial buds and one for terminal buds, both are descendants of wild mustard greens, just like kale and broccoli and coliflower.

plantains

largest fancy goldfish ever was 14 inches or so, Koi tp out at 36 inches, mirror carp (same wild origins as koi) top out at 40 inches or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here