Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wayne_perrier

AG Dilemma

wayne_perrier
17 years ago

My plant has just started setting fruit last week after a heat wave here killed off my earlier set pumpkins. The plant is still viable. What I have is 2 pumpkins that are set and growing. Both are only a week old, tops.

The first is volleyball sized and is 6 feet out on a thin primary vine. This is not the main primary but rather a second one that emerged from the stump. The second pumpkin is grapefruit-sized and is about 14 feet out on the main primary. Both are strawberry-shaped, that is, they narrow down at the blossom end.

Since this is what I have to work with, I'm trying to decide which to cull. Opinions ?

Thanks. Wayne

Comments (4)

• elder
    17 years ago

Wayne, I am such a novice raising giant pumpkins that I don't even have an opinion. Noticed you have asked other questions on this forum without receiveng much in the way of answers. Regularly read the Fig Forum, and there, if a question is asked you can get innundated with answers. Get the feeling they are anxious to help others succeed. Wonder if on this giant vegetable forum people are so competitive.........
    Took a tomato to the post office this morning to have it weighed, it went 1lb 10oz. Certainly not a record, but one of the largest I have ever grown. This year I purchased some expensive seed and started my own plants - it is paying off with lots of these big guys. When you put a slice into a sandwich they stick out beyond the bread. In my book that's a big tomato.....Elder (Lou)

• wayne_perrier
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As usual, the plant has decided. The smaller pumpkins have aborted and the big one is growing....

Lou, thanks for your response. That's a good sized tomato. What variety was it ?

• elder
    17 years ago

The tomato variety is Phil's Fantastic, purchased from P & P Seeds. Hope it's open pollinated as I plan to save a few seeds. They say the record tomato is over six pounds - as big as this thing was at 1lb 10oz I can't imagine how huge the record must be!
    The odd thing is I purchased mammoth sunflower seed, said to average twenty inches across, and they were planted not ten feet from the tomatos, and the largest seed head is only about a foot across. Guess that's what makes gardening so much fun.....Lou

• wayne_perrier
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Interesting. I grew some Omar's Lebanese this year and I have to say it is an impressive tomato. One plant has so far yielded about 20 pounds of tomatoes. They have all been from 1 to 2 pounds and the flavor has been outstanding. Definitely growing this one again next year.

Lou, I've heard that some people take Omar's Lebanese and prune back to one tomato and get them up around 5 pounds. Considering trying this next year, although I know you'll agree, anything over a pound and a half is a huge tomato !

Wayne

Sponsored