Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumkins are Orange already???

Posted by chris_nj Z5 Southern NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 04 at 10:40

Well,

After a disasterous rot and infestation from beetles last year, I planted my patch of 6 plants on black plastic in May.

I now have 13-15 pumpkins and despite the fungus on the leaves, they seem to be doing well.

My concern is as of this date (8/16/04) most of the pumkins are deep orange already. Is this normal for August in NJ???

Will thy begin to ripen or rot if they stay on the vine? When should I cut them off for Halloween?

Thanks,

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumkins are Orange already???

• Posted by opiem Northern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 17, 04 at 20:26

I can't help with your main question but I may be able to help with your fungus problem. I found a bright orange slime mold growing on some of the leaves. I asked at the hardware store for something to kill it, and they recommended Safer Brand 3-in-1 garden spray. I used it and the slime mold was GONE the next day. There was no trace of it and it has not returned.

Good Luck
Opiem

o

I'm having the same issue in Rhode Island. It's not orange yet, but it is also definitely not yellow anymore. The fruit is supposed to reach 300 pounds. I'd be surprised if its more than 40 right now

o

Hello! out here in the Pacific Northwest things are a little wierd also. I have 6 pumpkins that are done. they are a smaller variety but are done. I have two 50lbs or plus. My giants are well over 100-150 and look great! I am so excited because this is my first year with the giants and I really did not amend the soil very well first. just dumped some compost in the hills I planted them in and then added more later. I have about 10 of those.

o

pumpkins will last 4 or 5months as long as they are kept cool and on cement .....do not leave in soil or they will rot....i still have pumpkins in my house from april...good luck...pick em now...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here