Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

Giant Green Squash

andyandy
18 years ago

I was wondering if there were any people out there who have grown giant gourds. I tried growing an Atlantic Giant this summer but it didn't work out. I have a pretty good idea what went wrong but I was wondering if the giant green squash I've seen are any easier to grow. I'm not looking to enter any contests I just love the look of people on Halloween when they see a 600 lb. Jack-O-Lantern on my front lawn (I bought one last year). I would appreciate any input.

thanx, Andy

Comments (3)

• sandbagger
    18 years ago

Actually, for whatever reason giant green squash seem a bit harder to grow and at least as of now havent gotten as big as Atlantic giant pumpkins. The world record for giant green squash is 990lbs while the pkn record is 1446. A far cry from 1990 when the world record for anything--pkns or squash-- was 821lbs and held by a squash ! As for growing them they really are the same beast...just better looking in green !

• Maxpower
    18 years ago

they are basically the same plant just different colored fruit, back in the early days the Giant green squash were actually outpacing the atlantic giants in size and there was a lot of speculation as to which would break the 1000 mark first? many said it was going to the green squash, but we all know know that it was the pumpking that won out in the end, i believe the size difference now is due to the fact that many more growers started growing the pumpkin instead of the squash, thereby selection the biggest and the best seed to cross breed resulting in bigger pumpkins, the squash kinda fell by the wayside, until recently when they have been making a comeback, i grew a greenie for the first time last year while my pumpkin broke the 1000 mark, my squash just barely broke 600 lbs, however the pumpkin got more care and grew in a sunnier patch location than the greenie.
    i expect we'll see lots of +1000 lb greenies in the near future?!

• sandbagger
    18 years ago

Well, if you were watching you saw three 1000 lb plus greenies get wieghed this year. There has never been an officially wieghed 1000lber before this year and now theres three ! A new world record of 1019 by Todd Swartz lasted a short while until Bob MacKenzie wieghed two 1000lber greenies ! Bob holds the NEW World RECORD for 100% green/grey/blue "true green" squash of 1063lbs. Congratz to Bob and Todd for their accomplishments !

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio