Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Carrots

Posted by Sandbagger Eastcoastzone7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 15:43

Ok...me again. I'm growing a few giant carrots also....any idea when they are done? How do you know when the undeground portion is at its maximum size? When a flower shows up is it done growing?.I know NOTHING about carrots ....S

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Carrots

Ok...I have the answer now...they are done when they start to rot. Had to pull them for that reason...largest carrot was......6lbs,6.4oz....and I left a few gloppy chunks in the planthole when I pulled it up.

o

This does not sound right to me you might try consulting a book on the subject giant vegetables.

o

Bernard Lavery was working for an Arab prince last I heard . you can get some of his varieties from "Thompson and Morgan" also check Ken Whealeys book "seed inventory " (latest year available) , and the U.S.A. germplasm GENE BANK ,SEED BANK ( I think it is www.ARS-GRIN.GOV ). Bernard Lavery's book "I can grow " will give you other help . good luck.

o

How to grow a giant carrot

You should always "dig in" any giant vegetable deep with lots of organic matter, take extra care over feeding, watering and pest control and, if showing, harvest at the very last moment for freshness.
Fill a 6in-wide 4 foot long drainpipe with clean fine sand. (Always be optimistic). Make a hole in the sand with a long pole and fill it with good potting compost. Sow three seeds in the compost and thin to the best one when they have germinated.
Water from the top for the first two months and thereafter from the bottom to encourage the roots to seek out moisture. At harvest time wash out as much sand as possible using a hosepipe before very gently pulling up the carrot. If you pull too hard you may damage the long tapering root. The longest carrot was grown by Bernard Lavery. 16 feet 10 1/2 inches. You can still purchase his book on Amazon "How To Grow Giant Vegetables" Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon books

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here