Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandbagger_gw

Tall Corn Question

sandbagger
17 years ago

Ok...my Mexican June corn is tasselling....will it grow much more now? Its a tad bit over 14 feet now.....I was kinda hoping for more.

Comments (11)

• Brian_NY_NJ_PA
    17 years ago

You'll probably get the plants to 15 ft. tall when the tassel is fully out. That is about right for mexican june corn. As far as I know, it's usually in the 14-16 ft. range. If you looking for closer to the 20 ft. range, then I would go with Jala maize instead. It's a bit harder to get viable ears, and it needs a longer growing season.

• sandbagger
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok...my two Jala plants are way smaller than the Mexican June but started kicking in with growth this past two weeks...maybe theres hope for bigger with them?

• Brian_NY_NJ_PA
    17 years ago

How tall is the Jala currently? I'm in NJ, and my Jala is probably about 8-10 ft. tall. It tassels around the end of August to the beginning of September; so I have another month to go. I noticed that my Jala doesn't really start to get going until August. Jala needs the really hot days of July and August to really put on growth. They won't put on tassels in a consistent time frame though. You may get some that tassel early and end up being short, but most will tassel at the end of August.

• sandbagger
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brian...I'll measure this weekend...its the least I can do since the seeds are from you. Thanks again........G

• Brian_NY_NJ_PA
    17 years ago

I've clocked a few Jala plants growing at about 7 inches per day during peak growth.

• ncraven
    16 years ago

If you are looking after your corn stalks and giving them lots of water. Than you should get 13 inches per day in peak growing

• indy-jim
    15 years ago

Ncraven,

Would you have any tall corn seed I could get from you?
    Would you please email me at jdgatewood@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Jim g

• dantre
    15 years ago

I have 2 varieties of skyscraper sweet corn that I got from a Mexican friend last year one is deep purple and the other red both were taken form corn plants 25+ feet tall. Mine are now 8ft and growing. What are the actual varieties?

• georgeiii
    15 years ago

hi
    I'm looking to see if anyone has some spare seeds. I wouldn't mind trying to grow these myself.

• MEDICINEMAN9_HOTMAIL_COM
    12 years ago

WHAT COLOR IS THE MEXICAN JUNE CORN AND DOES IT MAKE A LARGE EAR? HOW WELL DID THE Jala maize PRODUCE?

• rgodke
    10 years ago

I am a Midwest boy that was trained by some of the leading corn professors in the world. On June 21 the days get shorter and this tells most corn plants that it is time to prepare to tassel. If you trick the corn plant to think the days are getting longer the plant will continue to grow taller. Please let me know when you break the world record.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing the Tallest Corn Plant

Sponsored
TR Granite & Stone Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Countertop in Loudoun County, VA