Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Beet Prep- Help Need a Mentor

Posted by glassford 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 21:47

I have started growing big vegetables this summer and have enjoyed working with pumpkins, sunflowers and beets. I belong to the Utah Pumpkin growers and have found some help with growing my pumpkins but do not have any contacts for growing giant beets. I need a beet mentor! I want to show my beets at the Utah Pumpkin weigh off and hope to get some others interested in growing big beets. I don't know the best process to harvest and prepare for weigh in or the best way to display my big beets. I hope someone in the group can help or knows someone that has this kind of expertise. I think I read that European Vegetable competitions group beets into three categories: sugar, mammoth and table. I am growing the mammoth and table beets. I think my mammoth beet is quite large but I don't know that much about these beets. Copy and past the URL below to see a few of my beets.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-d9c3X7AamSk/TjtJz3blC7I/AAAAAAAADP4/_JQ3dw574W4/s1600/beet3.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VVuhjClu_HY/TjtJlEtNQOI/AAAAAAAADPw/I2bldloFz-4/s1600/beet+1.jpg

Anyway I know this is a long post but I really could use some help.

Many thanks,

Rich

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Beet Prep- Help Need a Mentor

The largest beets I have ever grown was the Lutz Greenleaf Beet. They were about 8 inches across. I just used 10-10-10 fertilizer on them. And they were not pithy on the inside. I hope this might help you. Altough the beets from Europe grow much bigger, I think they are for animal feed.

o
RE: Giant Beet Prep- Help Need a Mentor

the "wurtzel mangle " it the giant beet . They yeild 40,000 pounds per acre. Gurney's used to carry them .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here