Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Novice at this

Posted by goldhills via Gympie, Qld (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 30, 05 at 0:48

Hi from down under.

I have recently come across giant vegetable growing and didn't realise it was such a big event.

At my children's school, we have recently started a garden club and I thought a good way to get the kids interest was having a giant vegetable competition.

To make it simple for the kids we decided that we would stick with sunflowers, getting into larger vegies later.

I have been given several hundred seeds of Giant Russians by a very generous Aussie Gardenwebber. We plan on giving the kids a few seeds each (depends how many kids want to enter) to take home and grow over the summer holidays. Early next year, when the plants are ready we will measure the flower heads to see who has grown the biggest and they will win a prize.

What I would like to know is there any special tips on growing large sunflower heads? I'm not expecting record breakers but would like the kids to have fun and not be disappointed. I have grown normal size sunflowers and most of my own vegies so do understand basic growing techniques just need tips on getting bigger sizes.

Climate here gets quite hot over Christmas, average 30 to 35 Celsius (not sure in F about 90's?), can be dry but in a normal season, usually receive regular storms with an inch or two of rain at a time.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks from Oz.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Novice at this

Why hold contest for just the biggest head and not tallest sunflower also?
Try some seaweed fert for large head.

o
RE: Novice at this

Thanks for your help.

I thought just flower head size to start with as some of the kids are less than a metre tall as it is and as we are in a rural area many of the kids have to travel on the school bus. I can just imagine them carrying a sunflower a few metres long in the school bus :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here