Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carolina Cross Harvested: 70 pounds

Posted by wayne_perrier z9 CA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 2:19

Harvested my first watermelon; it weighed in at 70 pounds. This was a fair bit lower than I expected; the reason was that the watermelon was very flat on the bottom, flat as a board. But overall a very nice watermelon.

I took it to my son's preschool this morning and the kids just loved it. They helped push it from the door to a spot in the middle of the room and then took turns sitting on it, standing, jumping and kicking it. The watermelon survived. I'll probably cut it up later this week and save the seeds for next year (I took pains to make sure it didn't cross-pollenate with anything else).

I have another nicer shaped watermelon out there that is not yet ready, but it's smaller and the plant is under attack by aphids right now. Don't know how big it's going to get, but it's a good 50 pounds right now. I'll be saving seeds from that one too.

Wayne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carolina Cross Harvested: 70 pounds

70lb. Good job!

o

Wayne, that's great. Congradualations and best of luck to you for next year.

o

Thanks guys. Now if I can only figure out how to get 100 pounds. Wonder how those 260+ pound guys do it. Not much out there on the net on growing giant watermelons.

Wayne

o

Harvested the second one this past weekend. It was alot nicer shaped and pretty heavy too, although I can't seem to find our bathroom scale to be able to weigh it. It's definitely less than 100 pounds though since I can (barely) lift it myself.

Interestingly, upon cutting open the first one today, it was largely hollow inside. It had a void about the size of a 15 pound watermelon inside. Not sure why, but this certainly explains why it weighed less than I expected. It actually tastes pretty good, as good as any supermarket watermelon.

I'll probably be making some seeds available to anyone who wants some.

Wayne

o

If you look on the base vegetable forum, I've posted an offering for seeds.

Wayne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here