Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
powdery mildew!!

Posted by sunlight2231960 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 6, 06 at 12:18

hey,

I have powdery mildew on my Giant pumpkins and gourds. I have sprayed them twice with a fungicide that says that it helps with that. It seem to just keep speading is there something that I am doing wronge or does it just take time.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: powdery mildew!!

Powdery Mildew is a disease, so it is something you spray a fungicide to prevent. Once it appears it is very hard to stop and the leaves affected by it will not recover. We sprayed diluted milk this year and had very good luck with it.

o

thanks for the help. So you just delute some milk and spary it on it? Do you have to repeat it? I was wondering if it would be ok if I cut off all the ifected leave on the three plants? I sprayed them today with deluted proxiced is that ok?

Thanks,

Melissa

o

Melissa,
I had similar problem this last year with my gourds, squashes, and pumpkins. Found out that these plants, especially gourds, don't do well when watered with a sprinkler. Really need to water early in day and not let water gather on the leaves.

I found that the powdery mildew came back even after I had cut off the affected parts of the plants.

o

Diluted milk works well as a good organic control of Powdery Mildew, if it is used prior to the PM appearing and continued weekly throughout the season. The dilution ratio is one part milk to ten parts water. Attention should be made to making certain ALL parts of the leaves are covered, particularly the under side of the leaves where the PM starts. I use a back pack sprayer which makes application much simpler.

If your pumpkins are being grown for display and not for food systemic products which contain daconil such as Immunox, work Extremely well to control PM.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here