Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin hardening

Posted by mike_brf Western Wisconsin (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 14, 08 at 20:49

Well, I gave it a shot this year, trying to grow a big pumpkin. I only tried watering this year, no extra fertilizer and according to my measurements, one should by over 200 and the other 180. My question is this. I am bring them both to a school at the end of October but I do not know if there is anything that I should be doing to it in the meantime. Is there anything? One has stayed a very light yellow color and the other is now starting to turn a nice deep orange. I am just worried that as it sits there and ripens I might lose weight or structural integrity. I appreciate any help you all can offer.

I can't wait till next year when I start fertilizing more. If I can do this just with extra watering...

~Mike~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin hardening

Use mouse control: traps, poison etc. they can chew a hole in it and move in for the winter.

o
RE: Pumpkin hardening

I am going to try growing the Howard Dill's Giants next year. My seeds are ordered. My compost bed is ready. I am going to start them inside under neon lights in the month of March - 150 days is a long period to grow in my region and if I want to present one of my champions in an early fall fair, I have to be ready.

How did your pumpkin ended up, finally?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here