Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raysoh

Giant Cushaw

raysoh
19 years ago

My neighbor used to grow Giant Green-Striped Cushaws for years and years. He died about ten years ago. I decided I was going to grow them, so I telephoned his widow to inquire about them. I explained to the widow that I wanted to grow them, but didn't know what seeds to use. Her late husband's cushaws were in the 100 pound range, and the closest thing I saw in the seed catalogues estimated 12-18 lb fruits.

She suggested I look at Gurney's catalogue, and I said, "That happens to be the catalogue I'm looking at." She said, "Well, those are probably the same cushaws. Years and years ago, Gurney's didn't have cushaws listed, so John sent them seeds and suggested they start selling them."

Isn't it a small world? From a catalogue in South Dakota, I ordered seeds that supposedly originated decades before from the neighbor across the road here in Ohio.

Anyway, the seeds I ordered produced nice cushaws, but nothing near the 100 pounders like my neighbor John used to grow. Has anyone ever heard of Giant Green-Striped Cushaw seeds? If not, I will plant the regulars and "push" them like our Atlantic Giant Pumpkins, but I would rather hear from someone who grows cushaws that are already "supersized."

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting