Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing the largest tomatoes 'Down Under'.

Posted by Eamon Melb Aust (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 26, 04 at 0:52

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I am seeking help. I have just started growing vegies this year and have planted my first tomatos that I grew from seed, all seems to be going well. I also planted Chillies and have a competetion going with my brother to see who can grow the best chillies. I have pretty much won that hands down.

Now my brother has challenged me next year to see who can grow the largest tomato.

Does anyone know what the largest tomato variety is? Or the best variety to try in Melbourne, Australia? Cool temperate area with approx 180 days per year over 15'C.

Also where would you suggest I get information about how to prepare the soil etc. for the best results. Do I prune the plants?

Any information at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eamon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing the largest tomatoes 'Down Under'.

two varieties that go big often are burpee's delicious and big zac.
I also do a google search on
growing giant tomatoes
gianttomatogrowing
giant tomato growing
how grow giant tomatoes
and other such search terms.
For the weather you have figure that out on you own.
gordon graham set world record for a 7 lbs 12 oz tomato in 1986.

o
RE: Growing the largest tomatoes 'Down Under'.

Most record breakers prune the blossoms off, leaving only a few fruits on the plant so the plant can focue it's energy on the fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here