Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing giant turnips, rhutabagas ?

Posted by farmfreedom 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 11, 06 at 11:01

Anyone growing giant turnips, rhutabagas ? is there anything better than the "mamouth rhutabaga" ? Where can I get seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing giant turnips, rhutabagas ?

I thought you said you didn't have any land to grow anything on??????

o

I don't have any land to grow anything on ,but I want to know where I can get the seeds I want when I get it.

o

You can always check community gardening program in your neighborhood to see if there is land for rent.

o

I grow turnips and rutabagas every year. I don't generally let the turnips get huge because the varieties I grow tend to get woody at a large size. Of course, rutabagas naturally grow to a larger size.

That said, a few years ago I planted a row of the lavender-shouldered turnips in a friend's garden. Six or eight weeks later I returned to harvest some. I made my merry way down the row, picking baseball-sized turnips. Then I seized the top of one which I struggled to unearth, bracing myself against resistance I'd not encountered with its brethren. I finally got a spade and worked around this megaturnip. When I got it out of the ground, my eyes grew wide and I ran to the house to fetch my friend. Together we stood there and stared in shock at the largest turnip we'd ever seen. It was about the size of a volleyball and must have weighed 8 - 10 pounds. I warned my friend that it might be woody and/or bitter, but by all reports the flesh was crisp, succulent, and mild. It fed him and his wife for a week.

I don't know why this turnip mutated to grow the way it did. All the other turnips in that row - planted from the same packet of seeds - were normal in every way.

o

I would have left that turnip in and let it go to seed and planted half of them next year . You could have started a new strain !

o

I don't know if there's much of a market for 10-pound turnips.

Anyway, I didn't realize until I'd uprooted it exactly what I was dealing with. My first reaction, which lasted only a few seconds, was a sort of vague fear and shock.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Giant Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here