Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmfreedom

Anyone growing giant turnips, rhutabagas ?

farmfreedom
17 years ago

Anyone growing giant turnips, rhutabagas ? is there anything better than the "mamouth rhutabaga" ? Where can I get seeds?

Comments (7)

• gianty
    17 years ago

I thought you said you didn't have any land to grow anything on??????

• farmfreedom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't have any land to grow anything on ,but I want to know where I can get the seeds I want when I get it.

• gianteggplant
    17 years ago

You can always check community gardening program in your neighborhood to see if there is land for rent.

• chaz_wi
    17 years ago

I grow turnips and rutabagas every year. I don't generally let the turnips get huge because the varieties I grow tend to get woody at a large size. Of course, rutabagas naturally grow to a larger size.

That said, a few years ago I planted a row of the lavender-shouldered turnips in a friend's garden. Six or eight weeks later I returned to harvest some. I made my merry way down the row, picking baseball-sized turnips. Then I seized the top of one which I struggled to unearth, bracing myself against resistance I'd not encountered with its brethren. I finally got a spade and worked around this megaturnip. When I got it out of the ground, my eyes grew wide and I ran to the house to fetch my friend. Together we stood there and stared in shock at the largest turnip we'd ever seen. It was about the size of a volleyball and must have weighed 8 - 10 pounds. I warned my friend that it might be woody and/or bitter, but by all reports the flesh was crisp, succulent, and mild. It fed him and his wife for a week.

I don't know why this turnip mutated to grow the way it did. All the other turnips in that row - planted from the same packet of seeds - were normal in every way.

• farmfreedom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would have left that turnip in and let it go to seed and planted half of them next year . You could have started a new strain !

• chaz_wi
    17 years ago

I don't know if there's much of a market for 10-pound turnips.

Anyway, I didn't realize until I'd uprooted it exactly what I was dealing with. My first reaction, which lasted only a few seconds, was a sort of vague fear and shock.

• User
    6 years ago

Hello! i REALLY hope you see this! I'm looking for giant turnips to purchase for a really cute student short film! I'd need them by 2/22, if you can help, please contact me at (949) 545-8007 or email me at itslaurenkim@gmail.com :)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio