Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Himalayan Ginger

Posted by nicdelucca 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 06 at 11:26

Recently, I was at a trade show and there was a women there selling Plumeria, Casablanca Lily, and a host of exotic plants...In reality she was really selling a fertilizer put out by QVC and the various plants were sworn to thrive on the stuff...

She had a bunch of "Himalayan Ginger" plants...She swore they flowered prolifically and she sold them in Magenta, Yellow, White and Orange...They were awesome plants, but I couldn't afford them at the time...I have tried contacting QVC, but no one seems to know the real names for these plants and where I can purchase them...I've looked at a million pictures of Ginger plants, but can't seem to narrow it down...I will say that all the flowers looked the same (kinda like a Gladiola only the flowers were closer together) except the Magenta one...That looked like a different type of plant from the others...

Anyone know what I'm talking about???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Himalayan Ginger

The magenta one could be Alpinia purpurata, while the others are probably Hedychiums.

o

Check out this web site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Horticultural Society

o

I did buy a few of the plants you are talking about at the Atlanta Flower Sho. The instruction booklet was put out by QVC for Roberta's exotic plants. The Latin name on the booklet is "Curcuma Aurantiaca" if that helps you at all.
The web site listed in www.robertasinc.com 800-428-9726.
Maybe they can help you.

o

qvc still has them. they come bareroot. look under robertas. Thats where I got mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here