Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened to my midnight ginger?

Posted by sextus 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 16, 06 at 16:35

A few months ago my midnight ginger was doing alright. Three or four new plants started to shoot up, but then nothing more. They new plants only grew about an inch or half of an inch and then died. The originals all died out. All that is left is one of the new plants that grew about three inches. A friend of mine had the same thing happen with the same kind of ginger. So what is happening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened to my midnight ginger?

Sextus,

My experience with this ginger is that it is not as cold tolerant as advertised. Here in southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a, when I had this ginger planted in the ground, it would die completely back during the winter, then begin to show life around June. However, it would never produce as much growth nor get as tall as the previous summer. I think it would have just eventually dwindled away. I finally dug it up and potted it. I have a small greenhouse and overwinter it there. It is doing just fine now.

Steve

o

• Posted by bihai z8B FL (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 17, 06 at 12:32

Yeah after this ginger was first imported (I believe it was brought in by John Banta) its was deemed "rare" and commanded a high price, then it seemed to go into tissue culture very quickly, and suddenly it was everyhere. They were selling huge stuffed 3 gal containers here for $12 with a label saying hardy in some 8. But its not. People were snatching them up like hotcakes...now its never even offered for sale anymore.
This is basically an evergreen zingiber. Old stalks will eventually get ratty and have to be cut off, but it doesn't seem to have a natural dormancy period like, say, a Zingiber zerumbet (red pinecone ginger). If it is allowed to freeze, the rhizomes will still look viable when you dig them up, but it seems to put the plant in suspended animation and it is extremely slow to come beck, if it does at all. The only specimen I ever have that looks great year round is greenhouse grown and has never suffered temps below 55F.

o

• Posted by jayferg 9b Bay Area, CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 18, 06 at 0:49

Mine never made it through last winter in 9b. I bought mine at a nursery that said it was hardy to zone 8. It died off pretty early in the winter and never came back.

o

here in los angeles,it so far,appears,evergreen,unlike most zingibas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here