Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Hedychium from Himalayas ID please!!

bluebonsai101
19 years ago

HI again, My friend in India sent me a pic of a Hedychium that is native to the Himalayas at approximately 7500 ft. It grows to approximately 3 feet tall. I posted a pic of the flower in the gallery. If anyone out there can give me a bona-fide positive ID and would like one for their collection I will import an extra and send it to you for shipping costs. Thanks again for all of your wonderful help :o) Dan

Comments (8)

• cactusfreak
    19 years ago

Is this it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Himalyan hedychium

• cactusfreak
    19 years ago

Thought I'd put them side by side. There is a little difference but it could be the age of the bloom.

Below is a link with many varieties(?) of the same ginger

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedychium found in Nepal

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, I'm certainly not a ginger person, but it looks like it is in the same general family atleast and perhaps a nicer variant, but the shape of the flower is like a vase as opposed to very flat and open as in the spicata variants on the link. I suppose a pic of the sex parts would be helpful.....is this useful for determining species of ginger?? It is really the only way to positively ID an Amorph or Arisaema. I'll ask the guy in India as he may have spicata and can tell if they are unique. Thanks again, and if there are any other suggestions please fire away :o) Dan

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, my friend tells me it is definately not spicata as the anther actually goes out of the pic it is so long and extended. Does anyone have any other suggestions?? Thanks :o) Dan

• TimChapman
    19 years ago

Not sure what it is myself, but i sent an email to Tom Wood to have a look (wrote the monograph on hedychium). will let you know what he says.

Tim Chapman

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Tim,

Well, if you do not know it must be a bit uncommon based on your reputation that I've heard of (all good!!). I had a look at your web site and didn't see any dead ringers, but you never know so I'm glad you had a look. If you can find an ID or if your friend can not ID it and you would like one, please let me know :o) Dan

• TimChapman
    19 years ago

I'll definitely let you know what I hear, and I'd like to try one.

BTW, the photo you have posted in the gallery of Caulokaempferia sikkimensis is actually Curcumamorpha longiflora. Its a much easier plant to grow than any Caulokaempferia. Maybe you were just sent the wrong photo. A few nursery in india are growing the curcumamorpha (closely related, and sometimes listed as Boesenbergia) commercially, as well as thailand.

Tim C.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Tim,

Any news on what the Hedychium might be?? I'll be importing lots of stuff at the end of the month and if it is quite unusual I will import several to see if I can't manage to use a few to offset my costs of importing. Thanks for any info you can give :o) Dan

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH