Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Television ginger growing idea

Posted by dancinglemons 7+ (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 08 at 1:17

I have read the postings on this forum about putting ginger into ziplock bag with damp paper towel. Then putting bag in some moderately warm place. My house is rather cool mostly around 60-65 degrees because I do not like heat. I could not let the ginger stay on my warming mat because I am starting my seeds for summer garden. I decided to put those zip bags on top of the television because it is always about 70/75 degrees up there. (Old fashioned TV - not flat screen).

Does anyone know if this is too hot for the ginger?? I check it every day and it is OK so far. No sprouts and no mold - just small amount of condensation. Should I cover the zip bags to keep them in the dark??

Thanks,
DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Television ginger growing idea

That sounds like an interesting idea, but I've always (well, the 3 or 4 times I've done it) started ginger just by putting it somewhere out of the way. Usually I've tried to put it somewhere darkish, we happen to have a cupboard above the fridge, so that's about ideal. I also just left it out in the spare room.

Point being - no particular attention to temperature (or humidity - the "root" itself has a lot of moisture, so I never put it in a bag or anything). Warmish and darkish was enough for me to get good results.

I will say that you have to be careful about picking a nice fresh root. It's pretty to see if the ones your grocery store is selling have seen better days. I find that if they look overly wet or yellow, it's a good indication they've been frozen. If they're wrinkled they've been dried out too much and/or are old. If they have any moldy bits, I wouldn't bother with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here