Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID needed please

Posted by RayAndGwenn z10 Puerto Rico (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 05 at 6:58

Hi-

Can someone help us out with the ID of this ginger growing on our friend's property?

He calls it a Hawaiian Shell Ginger.
We thought it was a Alpinia zerumbet, but it doesn't seem to be the "normal" type. On this one the flowers are
further apart and more "round". Also, the leaves on this one seem to be thinner. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

-Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID needed please

Ray,

It looks like Alpinia zerumbet to me. There could be some variation for flower and leaf shapes and sizes from plant to plant, or it could be due to the growing conditions.

Bryan

o

Ray-

It's not growing conditons-- I've seen this plant in a few older, established locations (parks, botanical gardens etc.) here in Hawaii, although I don't think it's being grown or sold in nurseries. Usually you see the more standard variety, and I don't know if this is a separate species or merely an old-fashioned clone of A. zerumbet, but it IS different.

-Lisa

o
RE: Alpinia aff. zerumbet

After posting the last message, I checked Lyon Arboretum's photo bank. They have it listed as A. aff. zerumbet, so I guess the jury's still out on that one.

o

Thanks for the info. The photos at Lyons look exactly like ours. After talking to our friend, he got his plant from the curator at Lyons. So that's it! It makes tons of seeds, which have a high germination rate. We have 20-30 seedlings of this, and now we know the proper name!

Thanks!

-Ray

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here