Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayandgwenn

ID needed please

rayandgwenn
19 years ago

Hi-

Can someone help us out with the ID of this ginger growing on our friend's property?

He calls it a Hawaiian Shell Ginger.

We thought it was a Alpinia zerumbet, but it doesn't seem to be the "normal" type. On this one the flowers are

further apart and more "round". Also, the leaves on this one seem to be thinner. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

-Ray

{{gwi:841630}}

{{gwi:841632}}
Follow-Up Postings:

RE: ID needed please

Ray,

It looks like Alpinia zerumbet to me. There could be some variation for flower and leaf shapes and sizes from plant to plant, or it could be due to the growing conditions.

Bryan

Ray-

It's not growing conditons-- I've seen this plant in a few older, established locations (parks, botanical gardens etc.) here in Hawaii, although I don't think it's being grown or sold in nurseries. Usually you see the more standard variety, and I don't know if this is a separate species or merely an old-fashioned clone of A. zerumbet, but it IS different.

-Lisa

RE: Alpinia aff. zerumbet

After posting the last message, I checked Lyon Arboretum's photo bank. They have it listed as A. aff. zerumbet, so I guess the jury's still out on that one.

Thanks for the info. The photos at Lyons look exactly like ours. After talking to our friend, he got his plant from the curator at Lyons. So that's it! It makes tons of seeds, which have a high germination rate. We have 20-30 seedlings of this, and now we know the proper name!

Thanks!

-Ray

Post a Follow-Up
Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link:

A copy of your follow-up will automatically be emailed to the original poster.
Return to the Ginger Forum

Comments (4)

Sponsored