Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
long-term storage of ginger seeds?

Posted by gingercr (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 16, 07 at 8:08

Hi all,

I did a search for this since there is a seed storage forum and didn't see what I was looking for.

I am in the process of collecting lots (hopefully!) of ginger (and possibly heliconia) seeds and I want to plant them all at the same time (anywhere from a week to several months from now, depending on how long it takes to find enough.) This is for a project I'm doing growing gingers in different light conditions.

I'm in Costa Rica and I'm worried about the seeds getting moldy before I plant them. I thought about putting them in the fridge or freezer but I wasn't sure that was a good idea with tropical seeds.

Any suggestions on how to store my seeds until planting??

Thanks!!

Maya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: long-term storage of ginger seeds?

Hi gingercr, most tropical seeds benefit from prompt planting. Few tolerate cool or cold storage. Because there is often a wide range of germination and growth of gingers there seems no advantage to wait to germinate seeds. If your seeds have any arils (as many gingers do) remove them as your CR ants will steal every seed. Good luck on your project. kaempferiaguy

o
RE: long-term storage of ginger seeds?

Thanks kaempferiaguy. so i should basically clean everything fleshy off of the seeds before planting them, right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here