Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will it survive?

Posted by bunyip 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 14:45

I have a very nice H. coronarium which lives in a 12" pot and has done beautifully for me the past two summers. Last winter it overwintered in my dark garage -- I cut it down and left it alone, watering it (very) occasionally and bringing it into the light in the house in February, so as to get it going early. This year I followed the same routine, but a couple of weeks ago a contractor left the garage door open for a whole day when the temps were in the teens, and all the lovely new red shoots that were showing froze and turned to mush.

Question -- the rhizomes on the top of the soil seem very firm, and are showing fat hard green bumps in places, but all the shoots have gone. Is this poor plant going to survive, do you think, and what can I do to help it? I had planned to divide the rhizomes this year, since the pot is pretty full but now I'm scared to do anything more than give it water and hover.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will it survive?

Oh , I think it will be fine. As long as the rhizome is firm and you are seeing new eyes, it will shoot up again. Just give it time, it will come back with new shoots.
I would divide it now too- let it start fresh with room to groove.

o
RE: Will it survive?

Thanks for the hope! I will certainly divide it -- I was afraid to do that in case I caused it to lose vitality, but the rhizomes certainly seem fat and firm so maybe it will be OK, and it is definitely getting too big for its pot. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here