Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I do with this ginger

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Sat, Feb 17, 07 at 20:10

I have some sort of peach ginger that I planted last summer. I had to take it inside over the winter and it's getting too big. It has a number of stalks and most are about 6' tall. The last one finished flowering about 2 weeks ago. Should I cut the stalks that have already bloomed back or will they continue to grow and bloom again? This plant is just getting way too big to have inside. I'd also love to know what kind it is if anyone can ID it from this pic.
Karyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I do with this ginger

Hi Karyn1, your ginger appears to be a Hedychium hybrid. These gingers will grow to 6 feet or so and bloom only once on each cane. Cutting off the old cane before it naturally yellows off will reduce the vigor of the next growth. There are lots of neat gingers which are of a more modest size that may fit your growing conditions better. kaempferiaguy

o

Oops! I already cut back a couple of the stems that had bloomed. How long does it take before they start to yellow? These just seem to get taller and taller. I'll leave the rest of the stems alone. Just about 2 more months than it can go back outside and I can have my foyer back.
Karyn

o

Karyn,
It seems like you've luck of growing ginger than I. I just lost all both ginger and heliconias over fall and winter. I will plant ginger roots that I brought from Hawaii in March. Would you mind sharing with me what types of medium you used for planting your ginger? Thanks,
Boom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here