Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kaempferia galanga

Posted by jamus_s SA Australia (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 06 at 21:08

Does anyone grow this plant? Have you got experiences, wisdom, you could share with me as I've just obtained a tuber and it seems to be starting to shoot. I have read it's used as a spice in Malaysia, has anyone here grown there own for eating?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kaempferia galanga

Actually I've heard that out in some of the outer reaches of civilization (from someone who actually met people who use it this way)they make little slices in their foreheads and then rub the pulp of the roots in the wounds, as a hallucinogenic. I guess some peole will try just about anything.... I just grow it because it's pretty. Remember don't water in winter when it's dormant and when it's up in growing just keep moderately moist.
Liz

o

This is a very popular herb used in the cooking of Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. I'll give you two links.

This link is more about the tuber, its use and origin:
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Kaem_gal.html

This link is more on culinary usage:
http://www.baliguide.com/balifood/kencur.html

I ordered a plant online a while back, let me know if you can offer any advice on growing it.

o

Hi thornyissue, thanks for the links. I am growing it and it seems to be doing fairly well. The plant likes warm humid conditions, lots of water in the growing season and free daining rich soil. I grow mine in a large pot so I can look after it. It goes dormant over winter dying right back to the ground every year. The most important thing is not to water it (or very little water) when it is in its dormant phase otherwise the tubers will rot. I lost one plant like this already and will take more care to keep the pot dry this winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here