Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shell Ginger bloom in Feb?

Posted by gardengrove_ac z6 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 22:22

Hello everyone,
About two weeks ago I re-potted a non-varigated shell ginger I have growing in my college greenhouse. The plant was massively rootbound, but still very vigorous. I chose this time of year because I felt that it would give the roots a chance to grow before spring. Anyway, within a few days of the re-pot, on of the larger fronds sent out a cluster of blooms. The plant doesn't seem stressed from its move, so I'm wondering why in the world this plant chose to bloom so rapidly after transplant. Its canes are about 8' long, and it has bloomed in the past only in late June. Just curious if anyone else can relate to this? Also, while I'm creating a new thread, what would a good time to get my Siam Tulips out into the sun and resume watering? They've been chillin' dormant since December, should I give them a few more weeks and wake them up around the same time as my Plumeria? Any discussion or answers would be appreciated.
Peace,
Nate
This is the plant about a week ago, if you follow to cane straight in front up into the rubber tree foliage you can see the bud; I'll take pictures after the weekend when the flowers start to open, currently it looks like dangling pink pearls.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shell Ginger bloom in Feb?

Just bumping this out of the way.
Peace,
Nate

o

Nate,

I can't help you with the Siam tulips. I don't grow them. Regarding the Alpinia Zerumbet, mine are in the ground and have always bloomed in the spring here in coastal Louisiana if they weren't knocked down by a hard freeze. In that case since they bloom on second year growth, they don't bloom the summer following a hard freeze. I have had a Heliconia Rostrata bloom after repotting in the fall. That particular plant is a summer bloomer for me. So it could have something to do with being root bound initially, then followed by it ability to spread out in a larger pot. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Steve

o

Thanks for the reply Steve. I think I'm agreeing with you as to the cause of the flowering. The plant was rootbound to the point of busting the plastic pot, so I'm sure its grateful for the space and new soil to grow in. The flowers are so amazing in detail, the colors almost look painted on the interior. I've even noticed that minute amounts of ginger-scented nectar are collecting on the rubber tree below. This afternoon I noticed that a second tall spike in the back had also developed a flower bud. I manged to angle is so that the bloom will be within eye-level once it opens. I've just decided to put the Curcumas back into the sun and start watering them around the first of march...Likewise with my plumeria and an as-yet unnamed ginger which is dormant for the winter. Anywho, thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Peace,
Nate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here