Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaempferiaguy

Hello ?

kaempferiaguy
17 years ago

Is there anybody out there or is this an empty forum with only past echos? There are so many neat new gingers waiting to be introduced and wonderful hybrids waiting for you to make. Where are you? What are you doing?

Comments (6)

• lac1361
    17 years ago

There never has been much activity on the ginger forum. I'm just marking time for my 60 or so gingers to break dormancy. It's been a cold, wet winter for coastal Louisiana. Not good for the plants but great for the duck hunting. Everything is down, except for the blooming Alpinia Purpurata in pots in the greenhouse.

Steve

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

I agree this is a slow forum most of the time. it is better in the late spring and summer I think. All mine are dormant except the variegated alpina which is in a pot on the patio. I only took it in the garage when it got in the 30's otherwise it stayed out.
    Hey lac how's it going? I used to live in LA on the coast too (first near Lake Charles, then in Erath, LA -South of Lafayette. I moved to AZ now so am learning new ways to grow my gingers etc.. I do miss the humidity (never thought I 'd say that LOL!!) and lushness of the deep south though...and of course the food and nice people..
    ~SJN

• lac1361
    17 years ago

SJN,

I live in Lake Charles; wife is from Breaux Bridge. The city is finally returning to normal after Rita, the forgotten hurricane turned everything upside down. If we didn't have that one night or two during the winter in the 20's, we could grow heliconia in the ground and never worry, just like south FL. But that is not the case most winters. The tulip magnolias and redbuds are blooming and some of the azaleas are opening so you know spring is just a few weeks away. Most of the seafood markets have live crawfish now, yum, although they are a little pricey. Just thought I'd throw that in since I'm sure you remember the summer crawfish boils when you lived here. It's 71, sunny and the humidity is 81% today. The tropicals are loving it.

Steve

• jupiterplants
    17 years ago

Hi,

I live in Florida, east of lake Okeechobee. We had 3 storms over the top of us 04-05. We lost allot of our shade trees.......... so we just planted 2- 14 foot cathedral oaks in an attempt to get some of our shade back. I still have allot to learn about the gingers ....which one like more sun than others, etc.

The white and reddish gold hedychiums are doing just fine, kaempferias and globbas........well.......... :(

Dug up the Indonesian wax and put it in a pot. Hasn`t bloomed since the hurricanes.

With the increase in insurance cost........ I am hoping to find a neighbor who wants to purchase and swap with me.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

lac,
    I know what you mean about H._Rita!! We had our whole town of Erath flooded from tidal storm surge after that hurricane! Our kids school flooded totally and most houses in the town flooded as well. We got 2 ft of water in our house and it was raised yup 4ft to begin with! We were lucky considering some people got 6 ft and the town of Henry some people got 8ft. of water and pecan Island and of course cameron a complete disaster. You hardly saw any of that on the news!! I got tons of pics of our town, henry, and pecan island (what a mess). We used to fish off the pier and jetties in cameron and spend a few summers shooting off fireworks on Holly Beach.
    I saved many of my plants by potting them up prior to evacuating and putting them up on tables etc. I lost a lot too but that's ok because our family and pets were safe. There was basically no where to go during that hurricane because the Katrina victims took over all the hotels in the state and several states over, and there were no shelters open (the ones that were, were already filled from Katrina) We couldn't get back into our house for a week since we lived south of town and the water hadn't receeded enough to get our 4wd in lol. What a nightmare! Our kids had to go to school in trailers placed on the school grounds. I don't think they will be rebuilding that one. We moved this past November and I do miss it even with the hurricanes lol. I'm really hoping to move back someday.
    Oh you would have to bring up crawfish and cajun food lol! Grrrr....
    Missing those magnolias and camelias, azaleas too ~ sigh ~
    I have a michelia_figo starting to bloom in a pot, my night blooming jasmines, and gardenias to remind me of LA for now. I actually saw a pink spotted hawk moth the other night (seems early) but its been warm here.
    Least the weather is nice here staying in the upper 70's - low 80's, be a different story this summer when it hits in the 110-115 range though.

jupiterplants,
    It sounds like you had some tough times with all the storms too. I hope it stays calm for awhile in FL and th Gulf for the next few years. Everyone could use a break :)
    I read somewhere that gingers with narrower leaves do better with more sun than ones with wide leaves dont know if that's true.. My kaempferia likes shade too and will start to close up its leaves in sun. My alpina zerumbert and some zingerbers tolerate direct sun in LA but not here in AZ. I am still learning about gingers and heliconias too.~ I know what you mean about the insurance etc. Many insurance Co. won't even cover newly purchased houses on the coasts of some states anymore..
    ~SJN

• jupiterplants
    17 years ago

That which doesn`t kill you only makes you stronger. LOL

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz