Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm not even going to ask at this point...

Posted by BradMM 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 05 at 8:47

... because I know many people start off by saying, "What is this???" I just received four gingers from a friend. I had actually asked for them because I've recently gotten interested in growing them and learning more about them.

They were tagged:
pink ginger
white ginger
giant ginger
Moy's variegated ginger

I've done some Internet research on these, already have several books with references and I really want to learn more about what I have. However, I guess my main point is that I've made this forum my home page for now and I look forward to reading what it contained herein and learning more about the world of gingers. It looks pretty fascinating to me so far!

Brad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm not even going to ask at this point...

You didn't ask but I'll tell you anyway. Good sites for information are:
http://www.gingersrus.com/
http://www.gingerwoodnursery.com/
http://www.treasuredbotanicals.com/
And the Moy is usually called Hedychium Dr. Moy.
They probally are all hedychiums if they are hady in your zone. But they could be something else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedychium Dr Moy

o

Thanks, cactusfreak!

I don't know that they are hardy here but the source is just about an hour's drive south of here. I'd guess they will be okay in a protected area. I first have to protect them from the DEER!

o
RE: Moy's hedychium

Although I think Dr. Moy had more than one ginger cultivars - the guy seems to have a ton of stuff he's developed! - I think you're right about this one. The picture in the link below looks like it. Can't wait for these to bloom so I can better nail down their ID's.

Here is a link that might be useful: SFA Arboretum website - hedychium

o

Dr Moy is hardy to zone 7 as are the other varieties of hedychium.
This is a picture of my Dr Moy bloom in my greenhouse. The ones outside did not bloom last summer.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Below is a link explaining why it is now called Dr Moy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedychium Robustum/Dr Moy

o

• Posted by danbo 8b MS Coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 14, 05 at 20:28

Mississippi Gulf Coast here. I suspect the white is a Cornarium. That and Dr. Moy I have growing in my garden. They freeze down to the ground in winter. Then return in summer. This winter was rather mild and many have not gone completely dormant. Sending up new growth off and on all winter.

I'm also a zone 8b.

Hope that helps.

o

Dr. Moy is a cross, forget which 2 hedychiums it was, of over 200 seedlings only 1 had the variegation. Dr. Moy was very surprised to find out that it was such a popular variety and had been named after him. It sure is a pretty plantn. mine don't freeze here but I'm zone 9b, the freak snow didn't even slow them down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here