Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone had luck with Hedychium in zone 6?

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 12:31

I see many, many Hedychiums listed as hardy to zone 7, maybe even most of them. But I wondered if anyone has tried pushing the limits, and had success in zone 6 leaving the plants in the ground year-round. I could cover the area with leaves or mulch, but I wouldn't want to go to any further means of protection such as heating cables, etc.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone had luck with Hedychium in zone 6?

Hi Bill! I'm in 7b, but I grow on a balcony so all my things are in pots. My hedychiums lived through the winter, and I see one teeny sprout now. My conditions have a chance to be more of an inground 7a or 6b, so I thought I would chime in.

o

My hawiian white butterfly ginger came back in zone 6, it's wasn't a big root and I gone in July so it had time to settle, but not alot, it's spiked up 2 little points...

It's in a slightly protected location but wasn't planted deep, it had no mulch on it!

o

I have on out this year but Im not sure if I'm brave enough to leave it out all winter yet.

o

I have one in a pot for several years, and I bring it inside for the winter, but it's not really happy and flourishing. I think next spring I'll plant it out in the ground and see what happens. It's not blooming in the pot anyway, so why keep it that way?

It'll be just another of my many experiments!

Photobucket

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 20:00

Well, I saw a thriving colony of coronarium at the Jones Center in Springdale, AR this year. It may have only been set out this year...I don't know...but it was loaded with fragrant flowers.

o

Dbarron-- that's like a mile from my parents! I was going to give them my hedychium. I don't recall it being there before. There is a chance that they set it out and carry it back and forth, but not necessarily. They do lift some things. I'll go send my mom to look :)

o

Hey dbarron! I got your message, but you have messages disabled so I couldn't reply. I never made it there and I couldn't get my mom to figure out what I was talking about. So I am unsure as well as to if there is a hole in the ground or what!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here