Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Want To Grow Ginger, My First Time

Posted by MissionGrower CA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 15:05

Ok, so when I say that this is my "first time" growing ginger, I actually mean this may be just about my first time growing much of anything. I have lots of plants that I bought pre-grown and managed to keep alive, but I've never taken the initiative to grow anything on my own just because I really, really wanted to make it grow. Until now. I saw some pictures of ornamental ginger today and I think these plants look just beautiful. I wanted to grow Curcumas maybe.

I have a house and a lawn and can grow these indoors or outdoors. I live near Los Angeles. So my questions are:

1) should I try growing indoors or outdoors?
2) is it too late in the year to plant seeds? I would need to buy them somewhere and get them planted so it could be a few more weeks before I get this underway.
3) are these plants appropriate for my climate? Most of the places on my lawn where I have space to plant get a lot of full sun and it looks like these guys want at least partial shade.
4) can anyone give me tips or suggestions?

Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Want To Grow Ginger, My First Time

Wow, Your not kidding newbie,I will give a little advise, first, Look for rhizomes/bulbs not seed. If you could plant possibly where you get morning sun and afternoon shade it would really help the plants to not scorch, I know nothing about zoning or climate for Los Angeles, You can often find the rhizomes on ebay but try gingersrus He has a huge variety and enough information to fill several books. Also to gain more knowledge do a search on this forum There is a ton of info. from experts and beginners and many topics covered. Many people also do trades swapping for a variety or species and varieties within species. I hope this helps some
James in Florida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here