Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gingerhedge

Looking for a particular type of tall Ginger

gingerhedge
10 years ago

I had received 3 types of Ginger plants from a friend years ago, I'm describing them all to better distinguish the one I need to get back now.
1)- One had a thick stalk, nice flowers, the leaves were long, about 3" wide but blade-like, and extending right and left on the plant, sort of 2-dimensional like a fishbone.
2)- The 2nd one had leaves that were wider in the middle, thus more like oval, and the leaves sprouted all around the stalk, 3-dimensional, the flowers were rare, I can't remember them. The stalks were thinner but the plant grew tall, about 7 feet. The stalks got bent and damaged easily in strong wind.
3)- The third one had the same type of leave shape as the the #2 plant, but darker in color, and it was stronger overall. It looked much like a rubber plant. It grew to 6 ft. Its most particular character was, if bruised or cut off it would be very fragrant. It also had flowers, white, that were not more fragrant than its broken leaves.
Can you identify the #3 above? I lost all of those plants thru flooding and need to replenish them, but the #3 above is the only one I want back.
(These were plants deemed good for zones 9-11 I believe, and I am in zone 9. But the emphasis on this plant is not for having any sort of tropical flower, but for the plant itself as a very good choice for a hedge. If this post is more likely to be answered in an other forum section on this site, please advise?).
Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio