Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asv420

planting store bought ginger

asv420
20 years ago

I've looked at several posts, and have not found a clear answer to my question... which is: how to plant store bought ginger. My never-ending quest to turn my house into an indoor forest has led me to try store bought ginger. I noticed one place that said something about the direction the roots are pointing, but little else.

*Is it important to plant the roots with the tips pointing up or down?

*Should I break up the root into several smaller pieces each with some buds, or should I plant it as one big piece?

*How deep?

*Should some of the root be sticking above soil?

*How much water?

*How much light?

*Temperature?

*Make up of soil?

*Anything else?

andy

Comments (23)

• TimChapman
    20 years ago

Read this article and let me know if anything is missing. Will add some photos etc. to it next revision. I wouldn't break up the rhizomes til you have a growing plant.

Tim Chapman

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Edible Ginger

• Bossy vossy
    19 years ago

timchapman that was an excellent article on edible ginger. Now I know what to do.

• asv420
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I planted two ginger roots and they are growing! They're about 5 inches tall, one of them is starting to unfurl a leaf, I think.

I planted them about an inch deep in a pot with Fafard's growing mix. I watered them, and kept them covered with plastic most of the time until I noticed a sprout poking through the soil. It took about a month for them to sprout, if I remember right. Now, they are in front of the window, getting lots of light nearly all day. I will see how they do indoors for a bit and decide whether or not to put them outside. Being that I would have to dig them up in the winter, I'm not sure about planting them outside quite yet. I'll just wait and see how my little "experiment" comes along.

andy

• cactusjoe1
    19 years ago

That's a great article, Tim. One question - is that water soluble fertilizer you suggested? How often does it need to be fertilized? Would Osmocote do?

Thanks.

• nychic
    19 years ago

How did your ginger turn out? In case you still need to know, here's how I plant grocery store ginger:

Lay ginger flat (lengthwise) on top of soil. Nuzzle into soil about 1", leaving ginger exposed on top (kinds of looks like a spaceship that has landed). Water.

That's it! Ginger should sprout within a few days. Very beautiful and hardy. Rub leaves between fingers, then smell fingers for great ginger smell!

Also to plant from grocery store: Ebos, lycees, sweet potato.

• sandy409
    19 years ago

I've tried several times to plant store bought ginger with no luck, your question and the great response has inspired me to try again. Also a pineapple is another nice thing for a pretty indoor or outside (in a container) plant from the grocery.
    Sandy409

• kudzu9
    19 years ago

What does an edible ginger plant look like?

• GardenKiwi
    18 years ago

Hey there Andy - how is the ginger doing? I found some great plump "crawdad" looking gingers today - lots of eyes on them. Glad you posted as I was wondering what to do. I am wondering when you planted yours and how they are doing. I thought I would start mine in pots about now and then transfer into the garden when the danger of frost is over (after May 15th) - I did a search on google images for edible ginger and found some interesting pics. Looks like store ginger will be grown for the foliage - it should go well with the colocasias and bananas that I have ready to go!
    Happy gardening!
    Kiwi in Kalamazoo

• GardenKiwi
    18 years ago

Thanks for the link Tim - good clear information there for those of us experimenting. Now - to find recipes of things to do with the ginger - I buy candied baby ginger that is imported from Australia - 'tis delicious and hot hot hot!!!

Cheers!

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

I loved the article about edible ginger. So I planted grocery store ginger about 3 weeks ago. It is a nice big root that is firm and has several eyes. I put it outside in sun, in a plastic pot with well draining soil buried about an inch deep. It still hasn't came up. I checked the root and it still looks the same as when I bought it. Do you think that it is dormant or that it was sprayed with some type of anti- sprout stuff? If so how long will it take for it to break dormancy or 'overcome' the anti-sprout spray? This is my first ginger ( although I grow and propagate other tropicals). Any help would be very much appreciated!

• dorisd
    18 years ago

It's great to see so many folks as confused as I am! First, one of my books suggested leaving the ginger in a paper bag for a week to encourage the sprouting then planting. Another suggested soaking the ginger overnight before planting. I used the paper bag method & got nice sprouts although I planted a couple pieces that had not yet sprouted. I would really like to know Tim's opinion on the paper bag & the soaking.

Also, Tim (great article, by the way), do I have to dig up the whole plant to harvest? Can I just take chunks? I've planted the Ginger in a 16" x 16" wooden container with a plastic liner. I'm guessing that since I live in zone 6 I will have to bring it in for the winter. If not, when you say "cover" what does that entail? Maybe mulch on top with the box wrapped.

Thanks for your help. And Good Luck everyone, thanks for the company!

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

Okay I'm gonna experiment with the paper bag method. I put a ginger rhizome in a bag. We will see what happens hehe.

• TimChapman
    18 years ago

Dormant gingers respond to heat more than anything. They don't sprout as fast as one wants, its just the way they are. They aren't sprayed with any chemicals to prevent sprouting. As for the bag method, I store dormant rhizomes in paper bags sometimes, so it definitely doesn't give them a jumpstart. In a pot, in a warm area, they will sprout fine. It will take awhile if the rhizome was in complete dormancy. If you got it out of the refrigerated produce section, chances are its going to take longer. sometimes you can luck out and find one sprouting. regardless, once established in the ground they'll establish their normal season like the rest of the gingers in your area. remember it may have come from the southern hemisphere and be really out of whack. it would still sprout though.

you can chop a piece off as needed. some people have preferences and want the dormant dry stuff. in zone 6 you will need to lift them and store inside. you want them dry, but not completely in the open air, just enough to get some kind of air flow/ exchange.

also, soaking doesn't help speed up the process. It is hard to do if you have kids/animals or other creatures in the way, but if put a bag of rhizomes on the floor in front of the refridgerator where the hot air blows out, they sprout pretty easily... again, not the most convienent thing but i've done some like this in late winter to get a head start on them.

Tim Chapman

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

Tim,
    Thanks for the post. After re-reading all 3 of your articles on your web site, I figured it was just going to take a little longer to get sprouts, and as you said it was probably a heat thing. So on 6-2 I brought the pot in and put it on a heat mat where I am currently starting passiflora and banana seeds. Today I actually have ginger sprouts (yeah!!). BTW the one in the paper bag still looks the same. I guess I will pot that one up and stick it on the heat mat as well. Thanks for the tips.
    ~:)

• peppers_cableone_net
    16 years ago

I always had trouble sprouting ginger and then I tried this method and it worked well. It also works with other cuttings that are hard to start. Take a gallon storage bag and fill about 1/3 with germinating mix. Cover the rhysome with the mix. Then close the bag almost all the way (zipper ones work best) and blow into it until it looks like a balloon. Leave it that way until the ginger sprouts. If the bag loses air, you can blow into it again. When it starts to sprout it will use the carbon dioxide.

• lboyce
    16 years ago

Tim.....When I clicked on your above link to read I could not view anything. Would love to read it as I'm trying to start some ginger myself and not having much luck!! Is it possible to send it to me in e-mail?

Linda

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Linda,
    someone asked that question a while ago. Here is the link to that thread where I think it may be accessed.

Here is a link that might be useful: ginger thread article

• lboyce
    16 years ago

sultry jasmine night....THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I really appreciate your help. Guess I need to be a little more patient. Last year I grew a purple moonflower vine from seed which is an annual in my neck of the woods. When I went to dig it up at the end of the growing season I found a tuber and decided to replant it to see what would happen. Just when I thought nothing would happen...I found two little green shoots. It took almost two months but well worth waiting for.

Thanks again for taking the time to refer me to the articles.

Linda

• sharvil6
    13 years ago

i just kept a piece of store bought ginger partially in water
    and it sprouted a ton
    then i put tht in soil and now i have a ginger plant over 1 foot tall
    but now i don't know how to harvest it
    can i just rip the plant out, remove the rhizomes and then put it back into the soil?
    or do i have to wait for the ginger plant to become dormant?
    thanks

• Juan Ojeda
    6 years ago

Had no problem planting store bought ginger..it took like a weed and now I have Ginger everywhere in my yard.dont know what your doing wrong.i put it in a raised bed and had ginger in about 2 weeks when I saw 5"plants. Just set it and forget it..you will see progress

• Juan Ojeda
    6 years ago

It seem to spread throughout my yard within 3months.didnt plant them in my yard but must have spread from me composting in my yard.i live in northern Florida and have no problem with store bought planting of an sort

• Juan Ojeda
    6 years ago

Jalapeno, green pepper,corn,tomatoes, squash,onion..all store bought. Oh yeah,ginger as well

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz