Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help hedychium seed

Posted by ryt2ber 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 22:49

hi

I'm hoping to get seed off of my hedychium longicornutum which I believe is about to bloom.....

anyone have any idea if I am successful selfing it, how long does it take for seed to mature?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help hedychium seed

It's interesting that your longicornutum is about to bloom....I'm in Indiana and have one in the greenhouse that is also about to bloom for the first time. I had forgotten that this was a winter bloomer!

I don't have any input on your question except a guess. Most of the other hedychiums take a couple of months to mature seedpods here. Of course, that's in the fall when temperatures have dropped. Longicornutum may be completely different since it's epiphytic and will be ripening in the spring. If the seeds are anything like other hedychiums, though, you'll know when they're ripe....they'll pop open.

This forum isn't very active anymore, but maybe someone can advise you if they drop by.

o

thanks so much for the info. here I wouldn't think of it as winter as we're awfully hot already. days in the mid 80s and night in high 60s with consistency. again I am in south Florida.

thank you for the info and I will hopefully get some seed.

btw for future reference since you mentioned it..... is it the ginger forum you mean that's pretty quiet? would you suggest I post in tropicals? I'm new so just getting settled :))))

o

Yes, the Ginger Forum has been quiet for months now. I'd definitely try Tropicals and mention that there's not much going on over here. A lot of the members in Tropicals probably have gingers in their yards and I hope someone can help you. Good luck!
Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here