Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
alpinia purpurata

Posted by Liz_8and_a_bit z8 Vancouver (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 04 at 23:22

Hi, I'm new on this forum and I was hoping that you could help me. I just bought a large alpinia labelled purpurata, Red. I searched and all the pictures I see have leaves that are green top and bottom. What I have is green on top and maroon (gorgeous maroon) on the underside. I love this plant. Can someone here help me identify it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: alpinia purpurata

Does your leaves look like the link below.? This is of a Hedychium greenii. The leaves are very dark maroon underneath. I can't seem to find a picture that shows the leaves, since the link I usually use is not working right now.
There is an Alpina called Blueberry with maroon leaves I will post the link after this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedychium greenii

o
RE: RE:alpinia purpurata

This is the other ginger with purple leave undersides.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alpinia coeralea

o

Thank you cactusfreak, the second one, coeralia, looks close to what I have, the greenii leaves are too light green. I appreciate the help. Off to do a bit of research.

o
Not purpurata

I think I found it at Enid's. It looks like the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: NSE

o

There is a very easy way to tell if you have a Zingiber and not one of the other gingers listed. On the undersides of the leaves where the leaf attaches to the stem there will be a lump, usually lighter color than the rest of the stem. This pulvinous as its called is only found on Zingiber species. If you look at the picture from Enid's that you linked to, you can see these features.

Tim Chapman

o

Thank you Tim, I just went and looked at my plant. Although mine isn't as mature as the NSE plant there is a bump about 1/4inch below the base of the leaf and lighter in color. Would that be it?

o

I find the Zingiber vinosum that Enid sells has a distinct DARK sortof Camo green too it, more so than the other common Gingers with red underneath on the leaves. Not very technical on this one, but a good description of it if you've seen the vinosum in person.
Scott

o

I have the vinosum and love it. The red is beautiful.

o

Hello. New to the forum. I'm amost certain (?) that the plant you have is the: Stromanthe Sanguinea (Marantacea). Link to photo: http://www.alohatropicals.com/StromantheaGingersFamilys.html
I purchased the plant at Minter's Garden Centre about a month ago, but the tag called it a 'Zingiber alpina purpurata' (kinda covers all the bases I guess =). Saw it there more than a year ago, but waited 'til the %50 off sale. Now it's mine....ha ha!! j/k. It is beautiful though. Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here