Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Gingers...

Posted by melinda27858 7b NC (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 07 at 0:04

I am new to gingers, but not new to gardening. I love tropical-esque looking flowers and foliage, and if you are on this site, you probably do too. Only problem is that I am not sure if/what gingers will be good for my needs. I am getting ready to plant in a large bed in my zone 7b yard that is shielded on three sides by my house (which will provide limited extra warmth in winter)and by my pool deck. The area receives direct sunlight from approx 10am to dusk depending on time of year. Area will be set up for max drainage to prevent waterlogging. What types of gingers should I be looking into? I should probably mention that I am not interested in digging up rhizomes at the end of each season if possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Gingers...

Gingers typically don't like full sun, but Hedychium Elizabeth is one that is supposed to be better than most in sun. Otherwise, there are several Hedychiums that would work, including coronarium (Butterfly--white and extremely fragrant), variegated (Moy Grande, etc.), gardnerianum (Kahili, Tara), and others. Some Zingibers or Alpinias might work, but mulch may be necessary for winter protection. All tend to bloom late in the season, so be sure to pick ones that have foliage you can live with in the meantime--good luck!

o

Sorry, Moy Grande is the hibiscus--Dr. Moy is the ginger!

o

Thanks for the info. I found what seems to be a reasonably priced Hedychium combo on "Plantation Gardens." Know of anyone who has ordered from them before?

o

For what it's worth, that firm has 100% positive feedback on "Garden Watchdog" at the Dave's Garden site:

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/2629/

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here