Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shampoo Ginger

Posted by tink67 9b Florida (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 07 at 8:57

I'm looking for a source for Shampoo Ginger in east central Florida. I've tried all the local nurseries I can think of along with Lowes, Home Depot and even Walmart. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shampoo Ginger

I have bought a few plants off of EBAY. I looked, and there are some listed now. Brent and Becky's bulbs also carries them.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brent & Becky's bulbs

o

• Posted by tink67 9b Florida (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 21:44

Thank you for the link to Brent & Becky's. I hadn't thought about ebay... I'll check there as well.

o

Did you get your 'shampoo ginger'? I have some pinecone gingers if you still want any. Let me know.
www.dizzy.liz.zy1@hotmail.com

o

did you ever find any 'shampoo ginger'?

o

I've heard that this "Pinecone Ginger" is a type of "cream rinse" type of ginger plant. It comes up with a pinecone that is able to squeeze it and a rich liquid come from it. Let me know if this is what you're looking for>

o

I'm not sure if anyone would read this since this post is from last year. Anyway, (probably) the reason that you could not find the shampoo ginger is that it is dormant (for the most part) during the fall. With the exception of a few oddities, (one of my shampoo gingers came out of dormancy during November and my edible gingers mostly never go dormant…)the rule of thumb is that around Feb. they "wake" up and start to produce greens. While they are dormant, most folks, especially garden centers will not sell them as all you would get is an empty looking pot. Being long-winded, I will go on to say that you could most likely get someone to sell it to you on Ebay, etc. where they will send you the dormant root piece and you will have to wait for the plant to break dormancy--and hopefully not rot in the meantime. Hope this has helped.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here