Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoseman_gw

Hedychium coronarium

hoseman
17 years ago

Last Fall I bought a Hedychium coronarium (White Butterfly Ginger). In order to get it home in the car, the plant lady cut the stalks and blooms off. I set it out until the first frost was expected, then I cut all the remaining foliage off and stored the tubers in the garage over the winter. I have now potted them and set them near the window and new growth has emerged. They get some sun that comes through the window.

I have several questions about growing ginger. When can I plant them outside. I am in zone 7, the cooler part of zone 7. We could have another frost, even though the average frost free date has passed.

Also, where do they grow best, full sun or morning sun and afternoon shade? Should the area stay wet or water them once a week if it does not rain? I have found conflicting information, which seems to be the problem with too much information. Hopefully, people reading this will have experience growing the White Butterfly ginger.

I saw one post that said someone left the tubers in the ground over the winter. Can this be done in zone 7, and if so, would you cover the area with straw or mulch?

Comments (8)

• lac1361
    17 years ago

It is generally thought that Hedychium Coronarium is hardy to Zone 7. Here in southwest Louisiana, our full sun would be too much for it. However, in your zone, it might be ok. On the safe side, maybe try it in morning sun first. The first freeze will knock it down. I would cut off all of the dead stalks and mulch it. It should show signs of new life once the soil temps get above 60 and in your zone, bloom in the fall. I like this plant a lot, and although it is somewhat common here, I never grow tired of the scent which I think is the best of the Hedychiums. With our mild winter this year, mine never went dormant and bloomed pretty much through the winter.

Steve

• hoseman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lac1361

Thanks for the advice.

• summer_fashion
    17 years ago

Can Hedychium coronarium be grown indoors in zone 5? What would it's indoor needs be? How much humidity? How much sun? Which window to put it in? South? East? Thank you. Margaret

• gw:chris-cats
    17 years ago

I'm in the UK and have ordered a Hedychium Coronarium. I intend to grow this in a pot in a shady protected place that gets the sun late afternoon. When I asked the nurseries how to grow it I was told to keep it in a tiny pot and just repot as the roots fill the pot so it doesn't get overwatered, yet on their site they say it needs to be grown in a large pot. If I cover the plant and pot in bubble wrap over the winter will I be able to leave it where it is (we do get frost and even some years snow)? What size pot should I grow it in? Where can I find really details instructions about the best way to grow this plant? It's going to be in a garden especially for cats, so will I need to protect it with mesh or something? Any advice will be warmly received. Many thanks, Chris

• tropicalfreak
    17 years ago

what is a good source for buying rhizomes?? they are pretty much evergreens for us right?? in south florida?? so many i want to collect. hedychiums are at the top of the list.
    thanks,cliff

• tamkatie
    13 years ago

Hi, I'm trying to grow a ginger lily indoor as well, so I'm interested to see what happened to the posters above... was it successful?

• fresh_tendril
    13 years ago

tamkatie,
    I've grown Hedychium indoors and out. They get pretty big if you want it has a houseplant, and they tend to grow better outside than in, unless you have a bright spot, greenhouse or conservatory for the winter months. If you have a smaller rhizome, you can grow it as a houseplant fairly successfully, but probably will never flower as such as they need space to grow to flowering size and they seem to like the outdoors better.
    From my garden, I've been digging them up in the fall and cramming them into pots, after which they go into the 3 season room and then the basement when winter hits. I just keep them on life support through the winter months and then get planted back in the garden in spring/summer. They really take off once they are planted in real soil again and will usually set blossom again by fall/late fall.

• Brandon Singh
    6 years ago

can I store the rhizomes in a root cellar, if so at what temperature and for how long.