Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Ginger...Any advice

Posted by musikisme 7 Reelfoot TN (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 4, 06 at 12:55

I just received my first ginger plant. It looks very healthy and had a great root system. I need any advice anyone can give. I know nothing about this plant. Many web sites offer information, but many varying. I trust those who have been successful growing them, so HELP!!

Thanks, Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Ginger...Any advice

Need to know which ginger you have. They all have various growing requirements.

Steve

o

I am posting a picture on the gallery of the ginger plant that I have. Maybe someone can help ID.
Thanks, Lori

o

I'm also new at Gardening in the South. We moved here from Colorado over a year ago now. What a huge difference in gardening. Anyway, we moved into a house that has ginger in the front entry to the house around a huge white bird of paradise. The kind of ginger that I have is Alpinia Zing?.
I've got to take another course in Botanical names. he he LOL
It's currently blooming and has beautiful white bell or trumpet shaped flowers on a stalk, with yellow in the throat.
I don't think it's getting as much shade as it needs where it is, because the one in the front is yellowish looking and the one that gets more shade is beautiful dark green with yellow varigation. My question is how do you transplant them without killing them? I want to put it across the walk way from the one that looks so beautiful. Please help. :>)
Thanks.

o

Andipandabear.

That's Alpinia Zerumbet. You can't kill it. It will bloom in shade or sun but the leaves look better when given some afternoon shade. I've dug this plant up so many times and moved it around I can't count. And each time, most of the stalks die so I now just cut them off and let the new growth come out. But my stand of this ginger is massive. If your stand is small, and you can dig up the whole clump, you might be successful is keeping it growing. Sharpen you shovel good. It's not an easy dig.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here